split neck?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by me2, Mar 1, 2010.

1. me2

me2 New Member

dont know what made this case neck split, it split about 1/4 inch down, i opened it with my knife so it would show in the picture. its a throw away steel case (store bought ammo) just wondering why a new shell would split? thanks

PS its a 223 shell

[​IMG]
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

prolly split when it jammed against the shell deflector on the AR it was shot out of. ;)
  3. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

Cases usually split when the overall length has gotten too long. This usually happens if you reload the case over and over again without trimming. People dont usually reload steel cases so I cant tell you if that is what happend here.
  4. me2

me2 New Member

sorry i should have said it was shot out of a single shot rifle, and they are new store bought shells not reloads. thanks
  5. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

hmmmm. Well there is a guy in california that usually checks these threads in the mornings. he might chime in tomorrow. check back

I am under the impression that the cases are too long.
  6. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

me2:

Steel is a poor material for cartridges cases. It is not malleable enough. If it failed to be adequately annealed that of course would make the mater worse. But it is all probably academic as the steel case is only suppose to be used once then discarded.

If the body of the case is covered in powder residue (black carbon) then the case failed to seal off the chamber, which is the real purpose of the cartridge case along with holding the components together for handling. I see no carbon on the case body (the picture is a bit hard to really determine that... get a camera that allow close focusing next time) and if that is the case then the split really is academic as the case did its job.

The bottom line is the case is meant to be a throw away. If it does its job but splits in the process who cares? Now if every case does that, no matter the case material, there may be a chamber problem because the chamber may be way too big, making the case have to expand beyond normal limits.

LDBennett
  7. me2

me2 New Member

i understand the throw away part about the steel cases, this was a new out of the box shell it doesnt have any burnt powder or anything on it nice and clean, i was just wondering what would cause it to split, i thought it was a tight fit inside the gun so i didnt think there was enough room to split :( this is the first one ive seen do that so i guess its just a fluke maybe,, thanks
  8. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

Not a nice tight fit in the chamber in the case mouth area. The chamber has to be roomy enough at the case mouth for the mouth to swell open a little & release the bullet. Brass is great at swelling to release the bullet & seal everything up. Steel will spring some but brass is better at withstanding multiple loads. Some milsurp-notably turk 1947 8mm rounds have split necks before they're fired but folks shoot 'em just fine. Those are brass cased. It's when the case fails below the neck that the real fun starts.
  9. me2

me2 New Member

ok i see.. thanks