Spontaneous Discharge

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by RimfireRat, Dec 23, 2006.

1. RimfireRat

RimfireRat New Member

2. Nighthawk

Nighthawk New Member

interesting read
  3. TTUshooter

TTUshooter New Member

crazy stuff...
  4. VegasTech702

VegasTech702 New Member

If you look at the physics of it, it makes perfect sense. You are talking about a giant electro magnet... I bet the officer never does that again. I still don't know if I would want to carry a 1911 style pistol cocked and locked every day in every circumstance in cond 1. I think that my pistols that have a revolving trigger and firing pin disconnect are much safer than that of a 1911. yes, I do carry my Beretta 92FS and Bersa T380 with safety on and one in the chamber. I also open carry, so if I were the victim of a gun grab, I would have a chance at not getting immediately shot because the thief would have to disengage the safety.
  5. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

After reading this article five times, it still sounds like BS to me.

The 1991 A-1 has three safetys and all were working ??? And the weapon still discharged ????
  6. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Thanks for the link but like Shooter said I would take this with a grain of salt
  7. RimfireRat

RimfireRat New Member

You have to realize the power of the giant electro magnet. Before you go for a MRI they want to be sure you don't have any pieces of metal in your body.Many times if your not sure you need Xrays. So not to heat up or move and cause injury or death. Alot of this is beyond the average guys understanding. ---JMJ--
  8. Ursus

Ursus Active Member

It sounds possible, but I wouldn't call it spontaneous, as an external force caused the gun to fire. If you drop a gun and it fires, that's an ACCIDENTAL not an spontaneous discharge. The headline looks tendencious to me.
  9. RimfireRat

RimfireRat New Member

By Websters>--- Spontaneous; 5 : developing or occurring without apparent external influence, force, cause, or treatment. -Well the trigger wasn't pulled or the safwtly taken off?? --- Accidental; 2 a : occurring unexpectedly or by chance b : happening without intent or through carelessness and often with unfortunate results , So how to decide which? the magnet would have been an exrernal force,no? but it wouldn't to the eye appear to be apparant. ...as to Accidental, the gun was carried into the MRI lab without intent or through carelessness and did cause unfortunate results. So it seems you might be able to say it was a spontaneous discharge caused by an accidental action.Or something like that. :D --JMJ--
  10. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

As the ole saying goes, "I'm from Missouri" until someone can come up with a more definitive causation.....
  11. durk

durk New Member

Ok, after reading the link I am a bit confused about the hammer still cocked back when they found the gun against the magnet. Why is there a hammer on this gun if you don't need one to fire it?:confused: I thought the pressure of the falling hammer had something to do with the fireing of the gun. No?
  12. Ursus

Ursus Active Member

Yes, it was an external influence. Ergo, it was not spontaneus;)
  13. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

"The pistol was likely drawn into the magnetic field so that the muzzle struck the magnet's bore first. With the firing pin allowed to move freely in its channel, the force of the impact on the muzzle end was sufficient to cause the firing pin to overcome its spring pressure and move forward to strike the primer of the chambered round."

The M1911 has an inertial firing pin. With the firing pin block deactivated, a sharp rap on the muzzle end of the gun could drive the firing pin forward into the cartridge primer, thus firing the weapon.

Since the thumb safety locks both the hammer and slide, it was still engaged and held the hammer back, and the slide in the locked position.
  14. durk

durk New Member

It sounds like things had to happen just right for this to take place. Would this be 1 in a million or more? It would seem that there is not much room in one of those machines for the gun to pick up much speed before hitting the sidewall with a whole lot of force. I dunno, very weird.
  15. RimfireRat

RimfireRat New Member

Xracer and durks last post have it about right. did you ever notice how a small magnet can pull a smaller piece ot metal to it so quicly? Now make that magnet the size of a car and try to imagine how quickly and with what force that gun might have been pulled against that magnet. remember the guy was what? around 3 ' away. I can imagine that gun was out of his hand and into that machine so fast you never saw it go. Anyway I thought it was interesting, ;) --JMJ--