The Firearms Forum banner

sporterization process complete!:D

5K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  JLA 
#1 ·
I told you guys Id be posting the final product and here she is. Just the bolt back from the boltman today. All thats left to do is firelap the bore and sight her in.

These first 3 are of the bolt itself...

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
And these last 3 are of the entire rifle...

The Camo-form tape was put on to protect the stock and barrel from nicks and scrapes during the process but it looks so good i just left it and added some to the scope;)

And the crown is 11 degree target:D

Attachments

#3 ·
Nice rifle. I'm a noob to C&R so tell me what it is please? It does look really nice though and I bet it will be a lot of fun to shoot.

#4 ·
Yes indeed, very nice! A person wouldn't be ashamed to take that out on an elk hunt. What had bothered me the most about hunting with them was that darned hard to crank safety knob. That ring will fix that problem. The hex reciever looks nice too and as mine are round, I figure I'll need to get a hex model for my project gun. Range report is next... OK?

#5 ·
Yes sir, im actually taking it to the land after i finish this post... And flannelman, it used to be a Mosin Nagant M91/30 stamped 1929 over the hammer and sicle, I cut the barrel just to the rear of the front sight (used the sight as a guide for the blade), recrowned the barrel with an 11 degree muzzle facing cutter, replaced the stock with an advance technologies fiberglass reinforced camo stock, drilled the reciever for the advanced technologies scope base, polished the trigger components and striker engagement to improve the trigger pull, installed a 1/2 inch wide trigger shoe, removed the rear sight base from the barrel, and sent the bolt off to the boltman for his ATI#2 bolt modification (he has about 30 different designs to choose from. 2 of which are designed for the ATI stock) And 10 weeks later here she is. Not too shabby if I do say so myself...;)

#6 ·
Oh yeah, and I dont quite have 400 bucks invested in it including the 125 I spent on the rifle... Cant hardly get a good deer rifle from walmart for that...:D

#9 ·
Quite nice and great for the mony invested. I'm a complete noob on these so I'm assuming the ring on the back of the bolt is the safety. Am I correct?

#11 ·
Yes the ring is the safety, had that added to ease the use of the safety with a scope in place. All the boltwork was done by a man named Jim Robert, his e-mail is jhrobert@charter.net and his website, where you can find examples of his craftsmanship and a list of different models he does for Mosin Nagant rifles and Mausers...http://www.angelfire.com/gundam/boltman/bolt_work/

you can also contact him through this link as well, and it lists his prices too...http://www.mosinnagant.net/Boltman/Boltman.html

#12 ·
Who did the safety?
Looks great, but does it shoot?;):D
Have not had the chance to really shoot for accuracy yet since I finished it.

The best groups I was getting with handloads before I decided to sporterize it was 2.5 inches at 100 yds with iron sights. Im expecting 2 or better with the scope, but I am going to have to rework the load since the barrel is now MUCH smoother.

I will post results as soon as I can get back behind the trigger;)

#14 ·
I dunno doesnt look safe to use to me, maybe you ought to send it too me so I can do a safety check first. Now me being the nice guy I am I will pay the return shipping......:D:p
Really that is a fine looking weapon looking forward to your range report! :eek:

#19 ·
I have since finishing this rifle given it to my dad. He loves it and as a southpaw who operates the action right handed, i know.. wierd, he finds the bolt and ring safety very usable. I have since graduated to better nagants;) I am a finn fan now and my ruskies have all be deemed plinkers and are only fed junk mil-surp ammo:)

#20 ·
i dont like it much.... but the safety redo would be pretty neat. im not a big fan of camo guns

#21 ·
me either really, i bought the camo stock because it looked better than the bland black one. i shoulda kept the wood. im having the bolt done for my finn now, in fact it ships off tomorrow, same workover except bead blasted instead of polished. It got a new set of MOJO tandem aperture snapsights today, and yes its keeping the fine lookin arctic birch stock. Its gonna be a sweet shootin/lookin range gun when im done...:D

#22 ·
the safety on the mosin nagant is a joke. it's quicker. although not quieter, to work the action then the safety

#23 ·
the russians didnt care about that, the mosin nagants were designed to be fired 5 times if they were lucky and dropped in the dirt because the shooter had just been killed. battle rifles my friend, super simple and easy to use. klunky, clanky and rattley yes, but accurate and utterly reliable was the main idea, and even the ruskies accomplished this nicely, then the finns refined it...

#25 ·
Its to cut down on the glare off the polished parts as you are sticking the front half out of a blind or brush.

#26 ·
yes that and also a handguard to protect your hand from a hot barrel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.