Sporterized M91/30 and its first group

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by JLA, Jun 14, 2009.

1. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I have finished the sporterizing process of my M91/30. Below are some pics of the finished rifle, my new shooting set up at my land in Godley, and the first 100 yd group fired with handloads at 100 yds, the loads are starting loads listed in the lyman manual using RE15 and 150 gr. hornady SP. I plan on changing the scope, tweaking the load, installing a new trigger, and bedding the action to try to squeeze more accuracy from it. The group pictured measured just under 1.25" at 100 yds.:)

Attached Files:

2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I just placed an order for a 27 oz trigger for it from brownells. I also looked at a nikon scope for it. Anybody have any good suggestions for a scope. I am not much of a riflescope aficionado as I have used mainly open sights my entire life. I have a tasco 3-9X50mm on it now. it works but the light gathering capabilities SUCK. And parallax is terrible.
  3. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Nice Set Up, I'm in the same boat as far as scopes go, I don't think you could go too wrong with a Nikon though, just a matter of which one of hundreds would be best for you. Are you planning on keeping it at 100-200 yrds mostly? If you're ever down twoards the Waco area, send me a PM, maybe you've even been down to the range out here before. If not, the invite is open; a very decent range here in China Springs, the Texas Open IPSC matches are going to be held here again this year.
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Chandlers... I know it, and was just there a few months ago. You arent but about an hour drive from me. I like Chandlers shooting range, that is where i took my idea for making my own range on my land. I like thier set up, plus she doesnt mind if you scrounge for brass...;) I appreciate the invite, I will take you up on that the next time i head in that direction. You like to fish? Usually in the early fall I hit Aquilla lake just about every weekend. I like them sandbass and crappies, goooood eatn;)

I do plan on shooting mainly at 1 to 200 yds. I have shot that rifle at 250 with consistent groups hitting about 6 inches low. I am going to get a better scope because that one makes my eyes really tired. I think there is something wrong with the occular bell adjustment. Ill prolly just retire it for use on my .22 mag and get a good one. I am trying to prepare that rifle for deer season. I have been granted access to a lease just south east of bastrop in elrin. Im talkin BIG ARSE DEER there, makes me hungry just thinking about it...

Once again, thanks for the open invite, I will try to organize a shooting trip down to chandlers within the next month or two (waitn for it to cool down a tad).

JLA
  5. woolleyworm

Actually, the range i am talking about is the Central Texas Rifle & Pistol Range, south of Whitney and North of C.S. off of Wortham Bend Rd. Been out to Chandlers, but too expensive and their range is far below the caliber of CTRP. CTRP has a website if you want to check it out. 7 ranges and covered concrete pads on the lines.

I was just up at Aquilla the Sat before last, nothing was on the bite though, only a few small slabs and a couple keeper whites. It was pretty windy and an odd swing in temps that weekend, so I don't think it was ideal. Me and a few guys from work took the kayaks out, got quite a workout in the wind.
  6. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

JLA,

I really like the nikon scope, it is a great optic for the money, consider the reticle itself before buying one, they seem to be rather thick in my opinion, seemed to be bothersome to my eyeball, on the other hand maybe it will be fine for you, just my thoughts as I compared it to leupold, zeiss and burris at sportsmans warehouse.
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Nice, Its always good to know where extra ranges are, I wasnt aware of that one. Last I was down at Aquilla was early may, We anchored at the back of snake island outta the wind and caught about 70 or 80 keeper crappies and about 40 sandies. we did that 2 weekends in a row before the bite slowed enough that it wasnt fun anymore. Good fish fry though;) I'll be lookin to head back down there bout the end of august/ first of september. And like always, fish em out till they quit biting or we run outta bait. I love that lake.
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Funny you should mention that 312, I went scope shoppin today and that was the first thing i noticed while browsing. The nikons have exquisite clarity and crisp focus but a HUGE reticle. I ended up buying a burris 3-9X40mm with the ballistic plex reticle. I bought it because they were running a sales promo on burris scopes and it came with a free burris rimfire scope, so I bagged 2 scopes for 200 bucks, instead of 1 for the regular price of 279 bucks. I think im gonna go back and get another package because i wanna put one on my ar too. Plus you cant have too many rimfire scopes. And at the wonderful low price of FREE ill take as many as I can get;)
  9. woolleyworm

Membership is only $60/yr at CTRP, far below the 200 at Chandlers. Closer to the house, better facilities and sanctioned matches. There's a couple guys from San Antonio and further south/west that make the drive to the range on a monthly basis for some of the BR matches. Give me a buzz if you're down this way, for fishing or shooting. Would love to get out to Aquilla again, sure showed alot of promise for some great fishing; I just hit it on an off day. I may try it next week, I've got a couple days off during the week, so it should be nice and quite out there.
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

good luck, Uncle Paul says the 'old timers' have been anchoring around the dam last few days, says theyre following the shad. Thaks again for the info on the range, Ill check it out.

JLA
  11. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

wish i had a backyard like that
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

well if you didnt live on the other side of the united states beth you could use it anytime you wanted. I dont mind;)