The Firearms Forum banner

Sporterized Mauser

3K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  antiquedr 
#1 ·
MO JENKINS
V.I.P. Member
(1/31/02 9:30:22 am)
Reply | Edit | Del All Reclaiming a "Sporterized Mauser"?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just "came into" a 98 Mauser. Looks like it was sporterized in Germany. A raised rib on the barrel, some engraving(cheesey)
double set trigger, beavertail bolthandle. It has "7.7" stamped on the underside of the barrel, just in front of the reciever ring. It is marked "Rudolf Reger-Konigberg" along the top flat of the rib. Does anybody have any info on what I've got and is there any hope of rebarreling it and getting it back to a respectable 8 mauser format. I would like to get rid of the stock, as it was once beautiful walnut and actually looks seriously worm eaten, maybe put it in a choate stock. The metal however is in great shape.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
MO

AntiqueDr
Senior Chief Moderator Staff
(1/31/02 9:33:39 am)
Reply | Edit | Del
ezSupporter
Re: Reclaiming a "Sporterized Mauser"?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Many German gunsmiths sporterized Mausers and Springfields in the late 40's and 50's for sale to occupying GI's. A lot were really nicely done and some were not.

Did they attach the rib to the original military stepped barrel or is it a sporter contour barrel?

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
www.apaxenterprises.com

MO JENKINS
V.I.P. Member
(1/31/02 9:47:07 am)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: Reclaiming a "Sporterized Mauser"?
Thanks for jumpin right in Doc. It's got a contoured barrel, kind of hex flats on the reciever end and then round on the front end. I also forgot to ad that It has "7.7 MM"(not just 7.7 stamped under the barrel)
Thanks,
MO

AntiqueDr
Senior Chief Moderator Staff
(1/31/02 9:59:13 am)
Reply | Edit | Del
ezSupporter
Re: Reclaiming a "Sporterized Mauser"?
OK, sounds like a replacement barrel. Tell you what I'd do. I would get a stock from Boyd's, finish it, and enjoy the rifle.
We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
www.apaxenterprises.com

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.