The Firearms Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

sporterized Remington P14 303 caliber rifle.

6K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  grichf 
#1 ·
I am researching information on a Remington P14 303 rifle that was sporterized in the 1920s. It originally belonged to my grandfather.
It is serial number 50154.
The stock is identical to the Remington Model 30 with checking. the rear sight was removed and replaced with a Mauser sliding ramp type on the barrel but the V is much larger. The front sight is the same as Model 30.
There are 3 marks that I would like to know about.
Underneath thr RE on the top of the chamber is an S with 3 lines on each side radiating out from the S.
On the left side of the chamber is a crown and underneath it the letters GR. Underneath that is an X with the letter P in the lower part of the X. There are 2 other symbols in the sides of the X that I cannot make out.

I would appreciate any information or comments on this rifle that might be useful.
Thanks for any help.

#2 · (Edited)
The M1917 Enfield, the "American Enfield" (frequently misidentified or mislabeled as the "P17", "P1917", or "Pattern 1917"), formally named "United States Rifle, cal .30, Model of 1917" was an American modification and production of the British .303 caliber P14 rifle developed and manufactured during the period 1917-1918.

heres a web page with good history and info for you

http://www.slideshare.net/tcattermole/p14

as for three marks the "s" with the radiating lines is a makers mark ( under licence ) for eddystone (sp?)

the X with the P under it , is this it or a variation of this it ??

( without pic's this is awful hard eh )

Attachments

#3 ·
Yes that mark is similar to the one you posted. It is 2 flags crossed and no B or C. The crown is higher to make room for GR underneath.
You are saying the gun was made by Eddystone under contract to Remington? interesting
Much appreciate your prompt reply.

#4 ·
no worries winchester also made for remington on these they have a different mark again , my understanding was remington had the licence and split it with 2-3 others to produce them to get it done faster ( war does that ) now i've not seen the flag variant but know it exists as its documented but it too is a proof to the british standard but the flags show it was not birmingham proofed but others who proofed it to comply ..

they are nice shooters and have a good rep

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.