The Firearms Forum banner

Sportsman 199 9 shot 22 cal SA

483 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  knight0334 
#1 ·
I just received a beautiful 199 22. The gun is 97%. After a few cockings, no dry fire,I'm beginning to see a ring developing, not just a light one BUT a heavy line that is showing bright new metal. I hate it as it is ruining my perfect gun. Hopefully this is not normal. What can be done to correct this problem. George

#2 ·
The locking bolt has a sharp edge and dragging along the cylinder leaving a mark. Ince the ring is there it can not be removed unless removed. You can polish the locking lug face and every so slightly polish and round the edges to lessen the effect. Eventually all revolvers that are cycled will develop a ring of sorts.

#4 ·
On most revolvers the cylinder stop will drag a bit on the cylinder. A good smith can fine tune the clockwork to help keep it down longer, but it is nearly impossible to keep it down the entire time until the lock lug matches up.

Smith & Wessons do it, Rugers do it, D. Wessons do it, Colts do it, etc, etc.. Just some more than others. H&R's are relatively "cheap" guns compared to the finer namebrands, so you often end up with little issues like this.

Every revolver I've ever own, including a Colt Python, has had the cylinder stop drag mark on the cylinder after using it. It is just one of those things you have to deal with when owning and using revolvers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.