Sportsman 48 firing problem

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by vfduke, Dec 27, 2008.

1. vfduke

vfduke New Member

My 16 gauge operates well mechanically, but won't fire. The firing pin hits the primer and dents it, but doesn't initiate firing. I'd like to remove the bolt to examine the pin, but haven't figured how to get the bolt out after removing the barrel, fore-end, and trigger housing.
  2. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

How good of a dent is the firing pin doing?

Im not sure I know what shotgun your talking about but what about the ammo? If the pin is hitting the primer and putting a good dent in it, then I would say look at the shells. Is it possible that they got wet when taken out hunting at some point. Even if it wasn't you. Could your son or brother, anyone have taken the shells out at some point. Could the shells come in to contact with some type of solvent?
  3. vfduke

vfduke New Member

Thanks for the reply. It's a Remington Sportsman 48. The ammo was a newly purchased box, but I'll try another box to be sure. The dent is noticeable so I thought it just wasn't making enough contact to initiate the primer. I finally removed the bolt and cleaned everything so will try it again soon to see what happens.