Sportsman mod. 999 identification

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Deserts Past, May 21, 2011.

1. Deserts Past

Deserts Past New Member

Howdy all! I just bought a sportsman mod 999 today and was wondering its DOB. The SN is AP156891. I've been looking for a good pistol to carry while on my deserts treks and reading the forums it sounds like I found a good one! Thanks in advance!
  2. Old Gun Guy

Old Gun Guy Member

Deserts Past,
    You have chosen a very good revolver. Your piece was made in 1976, and it is capable of handling all modern loaded .22 rim fire ammo. Please post some pics!
    Old Gun Guy
  3. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Deserts Past,
    Old Gun Guy nailed it. Your piece is a 3rd Model and should have the transfer bar safety/ignition system. Very nice, very sturdy and pretty darn accurate when you find the ammo it likes. In general, my Sportsman pieces seem to like the 40 gr. High Velocity ammo the best for accuracy, your's may like something else. They're also very easy to clean - easy break down.
  4. Deserts Past

Deserts Past New Member

Thanks for the quick reply! I'm trying 2 pics, we'll see what happen's!! The pics are as purchased and I haven't cleaned her up yet. In fact, I'm relatively new to pistols and would like to ask on bluing and if I should strip the wood handles, 1 side is faded like it was laid in the sun? One other question is, whats your thoughts on using snake shot for ammo? Thanks again in advance, It's good to know that this is a well liked gun!
    Sorry Old Gun Guy, I'm not having much luck trying to put pics on. I'll tryagain later.
    Last edited: May 23, 2011
  5. Deserts Past

Deserts Past New Member

Thanks for the info Jim! I should ask you too on your thoughts of using snake shot? Or maybe a little practice and I won't need it, huh! Thanks again for all your gun know how!
  6. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Deserts Past,
    You're welcome, glad to help out -and- thanks for thanking.
    From the little bit of experience I have shooting snake shot - you have to get really close for that #12 shot to have any effect. Two years ago, I had to shoot a Copperhead that refused to stay away from the front porch - I used a snubby .38 SPL with a CCI shot shell - from approx. 6' - it cut the snake in half about 3" down from the head. I've shot .22 snake shot from a 16" barrel carbine - just to see what the pattern looked like - at about 6' it was pretty dense and about a foot in diameter - anything beyond that it spread pretty wide with lots of void in the pattern. Your mileage may vary, but as you said - practice may be a better solution.
    If you e-mail your pics to me I'll post them for you. Just give me a hint what the pics are for - memory sucks anymore.

bobell01@aol.com