Sportsman Model 999 by H&R Inc.

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Jeasen, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Jeasen

Jeasen New Member

I am new to this list and I am hoping that someone here would be kind enough to help me.

I went to use this gun the other day and the hammer would not stay cocked back. I had the guy at the shooting range look at it and he said it needed to go to a gunsmith for repair.

Again it is a Sportsman Model 999 22 Cal. by H&R Inc. Serial Number is AE96176. It is a top break gun.

When I got home I took off the grips and noted that there was a loose piece of plastic near the bottom of the hammer. I was surprised to see plastic and broken plastic at that????

I downloaded a schematic and parts list for the gun. The only plastic part I could find was a mainspring & guide assembly, plastic head so I am assuming that is what I need? It also listed a mainspring, guide assembly, steel.

Is the steel interchangeable with the plastic part? Would I be able to change this part myself? Or am I not even on the right track?

All help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jeasen
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi Jeasen......welcome to TFF. :)

Keep checking back. Our resident expert Harrington & Richardsons, Bill Goforth (he's literally writing the book on them ), should be along shortly to tell you all you'd like to know about your H&R.

*Shameless Plug*
    Books by Bill Goforth:
    Iver Johnson's Arms & Cycle Works 1871-1993
    H&R Arms Company 1871-1986 (due fall of 2008)
    available from www.gunshowbooks.com
  3. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

your model 999 was manufactured in 1968. according to H&R parts list and Numrich arms parts listing the plastic and steel heads for the mainspring guide rod are not interchanable. because of the type of plastic use by H&R during this time the breakage of this part is common. i believe numrich has a new supply of the hammer spring and guide that they sell as a assempled unit and it is very easy to change. a H&R collector friend of mine (who has a large number of 1960's H&Rs usually buys them by the dozen.
    bill
  4. Jeasen

Jeasen New Member

Thank you for the information. I will go ahead and order the part and try to install it myself.

I had the gun for years but never shot it. I was really looking forward to using it the other day when it broke. I am looking forward to getting it fixed and using it in the very near future.

Thanks again.
    Jeasen
  5. Jeasen

Jeasen New Member

I just wanted to let everyone know that I ordered the part that I needed from Numrich. The part was delivered quickly. I was able to install it with no problem. I had never fired this gun before althought I have owned it for many years.

Went to the range last week and fired nothing but the H&R. It is a really nice shooting gun and very accurate.

I really appreciate all your help. The only problem is that I should have done this years ago.

Thanks again.

Jeasen
  6. CarolinaM

CarolinaM New Member

Jeasen (or anyone) could you please let me know how/where can I get the schematics and gun parts for the SPORTSMAN Model 999 H&R ?
    I will be able to ID it from the schematics.
    A part attached to the hammer is broken and I don't even know this part's name.

Thanks a bunch.
    Carolina Man
  7. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

try numrich arms (e-gunparts.com)
    bill
  8. jimlay

jimlay New Member

9. SQWIB

SQWIB New Member

10. SQWIB

SQWIB New Member

Thanks Again
  11. dungyman

dungyman New Member

Does anyone know where I can get rear sights for Sportsman 999?None of the posted links have any.Thanx, Bill
  12. Lazy J

Lazy J New Member

Hope someone is still around here , but is there a trick to reinstalling the cylinder on the 1986 999 ? cant seem to get the cylinder catch and the cylinder to hook up ?

Thanks to anyone !
    John
  13. Rickster 1

Rickster 1 New Member

i am looking for a h&r model 999 w/6inch barrell and if you know someone who collects them i was thinking he might have some duplicates.this is all new to me and dont even know how to recieve your responce.can you help ?
  14. buzz yooper

buzz yooper New Member

Not sure if you have found the h&r 999 you were looking for.

If not, I have this neat set I am interested in selling;

It is fitted with a 4 inch and a six inch barrrel, comes with 3 speed loaders, and a neat glas top fitted case. Email me at eschuls@carolina.rr.com if interested.

Hope this doesn't violate any forum rules. ;-}

[​IMG]