1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Sportsman Model 999 by H&R Inc.

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Jeasen, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Jeasen

Jeasen New Member

I am new to this list and I am hoping that someone here would be kind enough to help me.

I went to use this gun the other day and the hammer would not stay cocked back. I had the guy at the shooting range look at it and he said it needed to go to a gunsmith for repair.

Again it is a Sportsman Model 999 22 Cal. by H&R Inc. Serial Number is AE96176. It is a top break gun.

When I got home I took off the grips and noted that there was a loose piece of plastic near the bottom of the hammer. I was surprised to see plastic and broken plastic at that????

I downloaded a schematic and parts list for the gun. The only plastic part I could find was a mainspring & guide assembly, plastic head so I am assuming that is what I need? It also listed a mainspring, guide assembly, steel.

Is the steel interchangeable with the plastic part? Would I be able to change this part myself? Or am I not even on the right track?

All help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jeasen
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi Jeasen......welcome to TFF. :)

Keep checking back. Our resident expert Harrington & Richardsons, Bill Goforth (he's literally writing the book on them ), should be along shortly to tell you all you'd like to know about your H&R.

*Shameless Plug*
    Books by Bill Goforth:
    Iver Johnson's Arms & Cycle Works 1871-1993
    H&R Arms Company 1871-1986 (due fall of 2008)
    available from www.gunshowbooks.com
  3. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

your model 999 was manufactured in 1968. according to H&R parts list and Numrich arms parts listing the plastic and steel heads for the mainspring guide rod are not interchanable. because of the type of plastic use by H&R during this time the breakage of this part is common. i believe numrich has a new supply of the hammer spring and guide that they sell as a assempled unit and it is very easy to change. a H&R collector friend of mine (who has a large number of 1960's H&Rs usually buys them by the dozen.
    bill
  4. Jeasen

Jeasen New Member

Thank you for the information. I will go ahead and order the part and try to install it myself.

I had the gun for years but never shot it. I was really looking forward to using it the other day when it broke. I am looking forward to getting it fixed and using it in the very near future.

Thanks again.
    Jeasen
  5. Jeasen

Jeasen New Member

I just wanted to let everyone know that I ordered the part that I needed from Numrich. The part was delivered quickly. I was able to install it with no problem. I had never fired this gun before althought I have owned it for many years.

Went to the range last week and fired nothing but the H&R. It is a really nice shooting gun and very accurate.

I really appreciate all your help. The only problem is that I should have done this years ago.

Thanks again.

Jeasen
  6. CarolinaM

CarolinaM New Member

Jeasen (or anyone) could you please let me know how/where can I get the schematics and gun parts for the SPORTSMAN Model 999 H&R ?
    I will be able to ID it from the schematics.
    A part attached to the hammer is broken and I don't even know this part's name.

Thanks a bunch.
    Carolina Man
  7. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

try numrich arms (e-gunparts.com)
    bill
  8. jimlay

jimlay New Member

9. SQWIB

SQWIB New Member

10. SQWIB

SQWIB New Member

Thanks Again
  11. dungyman

dungyman New Member

Does anyone know where I can get rear sights for Sportsman 999?None of the posted links have any.Thanx, Bill
  12. Lazy J

Lazy J New Member

Hope someone is still around here , but is there a trick to reinstalling the cylinder on the 1986 999 ? cant seem to get the cylinder catch and the cylinder to hook up ?

Thanks to anyone !
    John
  13. Rickster 1

Rickster 1 New Member

i am looking for a h&r model 999 w/6inch barrell and if you know someone who collects them i was thinking he might have some duplicates.this is all new to me and dont even know how to recieve your responce.can you help ?
  14. buzz yooper

buzz yooper New Member

Not sure if you have found the h&r 999 you were looking for.

If not, I have this neat set I am interested in selling;

It is fitted with a 4 inch and a six inch barrrel, comes with 3 speed loaders, and a neat glas top fitted case. Email me at eschuls@carolina.rr.com if interested.

Hope this doesn't violate any forum rules. ;-}

[​IMG]