spotting scopes?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BETH, Sep 27, 2012.

1. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

My .02 - Just stay away from any optics from BSA, they're not worth the money. I had the Barska and regret getting rid of it. I'm planning on buying another one for use under 200 yrds. I had the 20-60x60 and payed $65 for it with the tripod. Worked great and then made a huge mistake to sell it and buy a 80x BSA....... Horrible mistake!
  2. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

shame shame
  3. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

guess i am working overtime this week-end just bought the spotting scope?
  4. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

Already bought or gonna' buy?
  5. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

Hey Zhurh how're you doing?

I think hunting vs just targets might make a difference, same with about anything, how are you going to use it....and how big is the bank. ;)
  6. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

7. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

Cool, so what did you decide on?

(and not for spying on neighbors :eek: )
  8. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

Barska the one rocketman has a picture of
  9. stumpjumper

stumpjumper Member

damn! I bought a $20 meade 50mm compact telescope and it works just fine for a spotting scope. even came with 3 variable power lenses. figure if it gets blown off the bench, no big deal
  10. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

MJP28, doin good, hunting season over, cleaning everything up, tying everything down for the snow that's comin nx week.

Hunting season wasn't as good as usual, got a moose and several caribou, no grizz or wolves. Caribou didn't come over our summit this year, 150 miles north and 80 miles south was their migration; I guess it happens like that every 20 years; I can't remember it ever happening though. So, no bou, that meant no wolves, man I saw wolves every night last season, following the bou. We saw 3 blk bear, but way off. One grizz was shot on our summit. I saw 8 last year and tagged one. We got meat in freeze but just a poor year; only 25% the moose taken from normal seasons around our place.

I had an old friend up for a few weeks, guy was 71, but he had taken me elk hunting many years back, hadn't seen him in over 20 years. He got a caribou and saw moose, but no wolves or grizz, shot at blk bear but too far. Funny thing is the guy has changed as he got older, bitchy as all heck, ha ha. I guess we all get that way with age. All he wanted to do was watch football on dir tv. Scared of going on the Yukon, didn't like how the river looked. Didn't like our mnt roads, single lane, no guard rail, 1/2 mile straight down, he was scared of heights I do believe, never knew that before. Didn't like road hunting as much as I do. Didn't want to ride 4 wheelers out my trails, said they were too rough, ha ha. Just on and on, and I'm the kinda guy that hunts every morning and evening. I was glad to spend some time with him, but man I hope I don't get that way in another 15 years. Ha ha, My buddy couldn't understand how we didn't have a wally world or Mcdonalds, about got depressed when I told him nearest one was 500 miles away, ha ha. Nx year, I'm huntin myself, just do so much better, ha ha.
  11. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

Beth IF you are really poor (like me) you buy a less expensive milspec set of binoculars.

Zhruh: we tend to get cranky with age's aches and pain and generally pissed off we are not as mobile as we used to be
  12. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

yup everyone does what they can afford