spotting scopes

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by jbeam, Jul 6, 2011.

1. jbeam

jbeam New Member

Hello i was looking at getting a spotting scope for the range. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a good quality one for a fairly good price?
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

What ranges are you going to be shooting at? For up to 300 yards, I had a Barska 20-60x60 that I picked up off of flEaBay for $68 shipped..... and then I thought I needed a "better" one, so I sold it; regretting that decision ever since. I'm buying another Barska for short range duties within the next couple of weeks. Best bang for the buck unless you're planning on shooting at 500+ yrds, then you're going to need a high quality optics.
  3. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

I've got a Simmons. I can't really reccomend it . To small a field of view at upper power. Also, I would get one with the angled eyepiece, just alot easier to work with IMHO.
  4. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

I don't know enough to recommend any of the spotting scopes. I have only had one and that is the one I am using. It is a Wind River by Wilderness Optics, imported from Korea by Leupold. It is a 15x45x60mm. It is quite clear and works ok for my short range uses but my complaint with it is eye relief. As you increase the magnification you have to almost climb into the eye piece to see all of the 60mm lens. It is so close that eye glasses are impossible to use with this scope. I have such limited experience with these scopes as to not know if this is normal or a defect. When I get another, the eye relief will be the first thing I check into.
  5. langenc

langenc Member

Increasing the power does lots of stuff-mostly bad:

DECREASED

field of view

depth of field

Others Im sure??

amt light coming thru lense

INCREASED

ability to see holes-maybe

mirage
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2011