Sprinfield 1903 30 06 problem

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Gatelyne, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Gatelyne

Gatelyne New Member

This gun used to chamber with ease but anymore it can be a real pain. It goes smoothly until you pull the bolt down torwards the trigger. When I extract the bullet, it will cut a groove into the middle of the lettering around the primer. I cant see no obvious dents or damage to the rest of the casing. Any ideas??
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Active Member

Gatelyne:

Did you pull the bolt out and inspect the bolt face. Sounds like there is something stuck on its face (??).

LDBennett
  3. Oldeyes

Oldeyes Member

It sounds to me as if it is time for a meticulous chamber cleaning with a .30-06 chamber brush and a good bore solvent. If the entire chamber area inclusive of the cartridge neck portion is not squeaky clean attempting to close the bolt on a standard cartridge can exhibit symptoms such as you have described. Essentially, the round is not able to easily fully chamber which is giving you the heavy final bolt closing resistance that you feel. If you have changed to a different ammunition, go back to what worked well as there are sometimes ever so minute differences between brands of cartridges. Additionally, if the hard cycling round in question is a reload, the sizer die make need some adjustment to get the physical dimensions of the reloaded round to chamber correctly. But in any event, a good chamber cleaning is definitely in order.
  4. Gatelyne

Gatelyne New Member

There was a small bur in the rectangular notch on the bolt face. I debured it which made the action somewhat easier but the issue is still not corrected.
  5. LDBennett

LDBennett Active Member

OK. So the bolt face is not the problem. Have you looked down into the chamber to see if there is something in there that causes the problem?

So what changed? Does it do it with factory ammo or only your reloads? If you mis-adjust the sizing die the cases might have the same effect of not seating in the chamber without force. If you have been neck sizing only, you eventually have to do a full length sizing before starting to go back to neck sizing only. Has you sizing die gotten misadjusted?

If you have not trimmed the case before reloading and after sizing the case then that could cause the hard seating of the cartridge into the chamber. Over crimping may also cause this same effect.

LDBennett
  6. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I suspect you didn't deburr that bolt face enough. Double check. And make sure the ejector is not doing damage to the bolt, though I can't think of how.

Jim
  7. langenc

langenc Member

IF these are reloads I say the expander ball is stretching the neck on its way out. Need lube INSIDE the neck.

Additionally get a Wilson Gase gage and check for length before loading and on finished product-with all cailbers.
  8. Gatelyne

Gatelyne New Member

I do not use reloads.

I looked in the chamber as good as I could with a flash light. The only thing I could see was a small ring of something where the barrel starts. Ive tried cleaning it but have no luck. Maybe a chamber brush would do the trick?
  9. Gatelyne

Gatelyne New Member

I may try to get pics up this weekend of the bolt face and the damage that is obvious on the case.