"Spring assisted" knife What the???

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by uralrider, Nov 12, 2010.

1. uralrider

uralrider New Member

Does anybody but me think that in fact a spring assisted knife is a switchblade? I can buy one of these knives on ebay, but I can't legally sell a 100 year old automatic pocket knife due to some archaic law from the "50's that had to do with the "Greaser " image or some such thing. I think it's time this old law was taken off the books so collectors and dealers could legally trade in these great old knives.
  2. pickenup

pickenup New Member

You ain't the only one. :mad:
  3. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

Yea its a slippery slope. An ''automatic knife'' in FL is considered Illegal if the blade is capable of becoming ballistic-detactable from the handle-like the old Spetznaz knifes that had the spring inside the handle that propelled the blade-that were offered in the US many years ago.
  4. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

They are legal here in WV. A spring assisted opener requires that the blade be part way deployed manually. A full auto knife it is only necesssary to push a button or switch and no contact with the blade is required.

I have an SOG Aeigis assisted opener and also a Kershaw Scallion assisted opener. I like the SOG the best of the two and it is my EDC.
  5. 308 at my gate

308 at my gate New Member

Like jacksonco said there is a difference between the two styles of knives and the way they open. I do agree the law for switch blades is old and dumb. I also have several of the assist opening knives and they work very well and I will probably look for another. If they got rid of the law knife makers would have a whole new market for high quality switch blades.
  6. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Be thankful you don't live where 'gravity assist' knifes are illegal.

A friend of my son brought over a 'butterfly' knife one day. I asked him to see it. When he handed it to me, I put it through the moves, and handed it back to him. He was impressed.:eek:

I told him it was illegal to own and not to get caught with it.:(

Good thing a nice razor sharp steak knife is still legal.
    Think of how restaurants would be out of business.:rolleyes:

Next up?

Scissors.
  7. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

in kentucky you can own any type of knife you want but cannot carry anything but a regular hunting knife or pocket knife. but with my ccw license i can carry a switchblade. i've been wanting one, but the price of a good one is prohibitive
  8. BullShoot

BullShoot New Member

///the price of a good one is prohibitive ///

So, what is the going price of a switchblade? And is the ban on them universal? Or just in certain jurisdictions?

Inquiring minds want to know.

BullShoot
  9. 308 at my gate

308 at my gate New Member

Hundreds of dollars.
  10. johnlives4christ

hundreds of dollars. aint sure really because i haven't really looked since i know they aint cheap. maybe bill can suggest a reasonably priced one.
  11. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

I carry a four inch Godfather from Protech. It was 200 brand new and I wore the spring out. Sent it back,new spring was Free and it is better than ever. This is from a company in California where I am sure they are not even legal to carry. I have a CCW and love it.
  12. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

You can spend thousands for exotic metals,stone,bone handles etc... Around 200-300 will get you a great one that will serve you well.:rolleyes:;)
  13. BullShoot

BullShoot New Member

Well, to go a semi-cautious step further.... what about one from the ''greaser image'' age?
    MoP scales, marked ''Imperial'', 3 3/8'' blade, 7 1/2'' loa?

BullShoot
  14. johnlives4christ

i looked up the godfather. more like 300.00
  15. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

Hey john- I bought mine 5 years ago.black with the green inserts. I guess they went up in price. My next one will be an out the front model-I love those.
  16. johnlives4christ

id like to have one of the old italian ones. just for the history, but i can buy a new gun for the cost of a knife so i dont bother
  17. ofitg

ofitg New Member

I am getting off-topic, but have you ever considered something like this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CENT...Z160461425464QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools

If you're close enough to cut somebody, you're probably close enough to bash their skull in.... and no waiting for them to bleed out.
  18. johnlives4christ

actually i've considered one of the gerber backpaxe's for close in self defense in the car. my interest in switch blades, old ones at least is the same reason i like baby brownings and remington derringers. not for self defense but for collecting.

dunno i think one of the new ones would be need to have, and i'd carry it around if i had one, but an old one, that'd be sweet. i'd probably carry it once in a while, but not seriously
  19. ofitg

ofitg New Member

Yeah, I have to admit, the different switchblade mechanisms are interesting to me, and I've collected a few over the years.... but a lot of them seem flimsy, and unless you're walking around with your thumb on the switch, you may not get it open quickly in an emergency.
    One non-auto knife which impresses me is the Cold Steel Vaquero Grande, out of production but still available occasionally. That big blade is ridiculously easy to flip open with one hand.
  20. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

Knives can be deployed ridiculously fast. In close quarters a person well trained with a blade is going to deploy the blade and win out over a person with an undeployed pistol. The knife will do far more damage and on the first strike the person with the gun will be unable to hold it in his hand let alone pull the trigger.