"Spring assisted" knife What the???

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by uralrider, Nov 12, 2010.

1. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

exactly jacksonco

a knife is an ambush weapon pirmarily

a gun is a defensive weapon primarily
  2. ofitg

ofitg New Member

I would certainly agree that a knife is a poor choice for defensive purposes.... especially if it is a folder which cannot be opened without manipulating some mechanism in the proper manner.

If I couldn't carry a gun for defense, I think my second choice would be some type of impact weapon - hammer, SIPO, small flail, or similar.
  3. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Active Member

I can certainly recommend the Leverletto! Less than a hundred dollars, and the quality is excellent. Either old-school Italian styling (better mechanism) or modern "tactical" versions in 2 different sizes.
    I don't sell them, but I designed them-and I can help you find them.
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  4. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Trust me knives make good defensive weapons too John , but then the aim of any knife fight its to go from the defensive to the offensive and remove the threat

it is always a defensive start unless your attacking first .. even against unarmed attackers , deal with it , get the upper hand and take em out

and with good luck and skills it'll all be over in 3-5 seconds

like oftig said , folders are a poor choice for defensive tools

i do like the Kbar , the Gerber boot knife (Mk1 i think) and a belt buckle push knife , but the belt buckle knife that comes free without doing anything but pulling it hard enough some need you to undo the belt ???WTF?? hold on i'll just play with my belt for a sec huh ?? ha

I dunno if they are legal but what i call a morrocan flick knife is excellent if you can get em

they shoot straight up and lock , and decent spring and its deadly from closed ..

a mate has a plastic ice srcaper thats sorta like a tomahawk, a excellent weapon for the car and 100% legal to carry in the drivers side door pocket , dont carry a hatchet or hammer or iron bar in there , thats intent in some places

also never under estimate the simple entrenching tool, close in its a horrid weapons, big wounds , you can swing it hard as its got great grip and leverage to either the blade or the pick , this is also legal to carry even if it is razor sharp
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Bill, so you think the lever is better than a button?

My one switchblade is a Hubertus lever latch. It's truly amazing what you can find on the web. I just looked and found one site that says they are made in Germany and than converted to automatic once they come in-country. Another site said they are made as automatic in Germany, and can only be sold to cops, firemen, EMTs, etc. The site I bought from, four years ago, said, "Send us a hundred dollars". :D
  6. ofitg

ofitg New Member

Jack, assuming you have a sturdy sheath knife with a 6 or 8 inch blade, what's the best target to end the fight quickly?

I remember an incident from 40 years ago when a guy got stabbed in a fight, and he didn't even know he'd been stabbed until the fight was over. That's probably a example of bad luck and poor skills.
  7. Bill DeShivs

Levers are much safer than buttons, and don't require an additional safety. They are also ambidextrous. Properly made, they are sturdier than buttons.
  8. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Oftig yes the sheath knife is best fast to use solid to drive

silent take downs are best done to the spine or cerebral cortex

you can drive a full blade through the spine with enough force but placeing it between the bones in the spine is easier but needs experience or practise

driving the blade up into the brain ( about a 35 degree angle will find the path of least resistance )

both are as fast as a pistol round if done correctly

otherwise the inside of the thigh area ( major artery ) and back off, like wise for the artery in the arms

the throat are is a good target but you'll need some basic skill as this put you in a front on position

a knife in combination with a fast moving attack ( making it look like flying feet so they dont notice the blade ) will score and move on , and yes they may not realise they have been slashed or stabbed thats adrenaline .. but adrenaline only works when theres enough blood in the system

if you get the inside thigh artery they'll slow so fast its scarey

if you cannot finish your target with a knife, attack and withdraw to safe range and re attack

slash and withdraw slash and withdraw ( looking for any futher attacks from other places too , dont get tunnel vision in a knife fight , its a deadly mistake)

it'll be over pretty quick that way too

remember where you place your blade on the surface it goes in 6-8 inches deeper on that same angle , make use of that

a 8" blade with cleave the heart out from under the solar plexus ..

grabs blocks and throws are all important to knife combat

the ability to think faster and clearer while putting fear into your target helps a lot

also beware of people who hold a knife in releif and blade outwards ,

this is a sign they are a grappler , someone who draws you in to fight and slashes you instead of grabbing ..

you gotta size up your opponant and their skills fast , this is one of the things that'll show you there skill set

1 point folks often forget their faces in fights

a open mouth is a great target for a 8" blade and a fast take down if executed correctly
  9. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i dont know much about the leverletto. i've seen them on websites. it's pretty neat that you designed it bill. i think i'd rather have a regular button type switchblade. whats your recommendation for a good quality one?
  10. ofitg

ofitg New Member

Jack, thanks for all the tips.... not just for my own sake, but for everybody else who might be considering knives as weapons. It sounds like some professional instruction, and plenty of practice, might be in order.

Of course, at my age, anything requiring this much speed and agility is pretty much out the window. I think I can safely say that I will never be a knife fighter.

A few random thoughts....

1) I've got a Bowie, the blade is 10 inches long and 2 inches wide. The wound channel from this blade might be getting up into the same ballpark as certain hollowpoint handgun rounds.

2) When I was working down south of the border, I saw a lot of men walking around with machetes. I also saw a lot of one-armed men.

3) Without getting into too many details, I saw a young two-striper bayonet a dog to death. There was nothing quick or easy about it. A couple of days later, that guy's NCO had to dispatch a dog - he pulled out his pistol, POP, it was over.
  11. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

10" bowie is a good weapon a bush knife or machette is better and yes seen a lot of one handed folks through out Africa thanks to bush knives

never use a knife when a gun will do

you never want to be the idiot who brings a knife to a gun fight ;)

cheers
  12. Bill DeShivs

John-
    The F. Beltrame or AKC stilettos are about as good as you will get in that price range, but nowhere near the quality, safety, and utility as the Leverletto.
  13. uralrider

uralrider New Member

Before ebay kicked my old "pocket "knife off,it hit $450.00 with quite a few bidders and it was only on about 48 hours. I'd say there's a demand out there. By the way that listing was 7-8 years ago.