Springfield 03-A3 never fired?

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by mcredimus, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Detroit-1

Detroit-1 Member

The mark 3-GMK is a arsensal stamp meaning the gun has been rebuilt. Also the gentlmens 30-06 that had a .308 chamber the .308 did not come out until the early 50's. Maybe someone put a new barrel on her but never finished the final reaming for headspace?
  2. FlashBang

FlashBang Member

Agreed, it has been rebuilt by the arsenal. Every 1903-A3 was test fired for proofing so there is no such thing as an unfired 1903-A3. There are some that were not "issued" but none that are "unfired". It is still a very nice firearm that you have regardless. As to not firing it yourself, I look at it this way: If you married a beautiful woman would you not want to sleep with her? :D
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The FJA (Frank J. Atwood) mark, the circled P behind the trigger guard, the symbols ahead of the magazine floorplate and the barrel markings (plus the crossed cannons mark, if it can be seen) are original. The 3-GMK indicates a postwar cleaning and refurbishment, if not a rebuild.

So the gun has not only been fired it has been issued and used enough that it was refurbed.

AFAIK, no one has ever found out definitively who/what "3-GMK" stands for. There have been all kinds of guesses, but I don't recall anything official. The most common idea is that "GM" stands for General Motors, with the "K" indicating a plant, or maybe a government inspector. As I say, all guesswork.

Jim