Springfield 1830 Rifle

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by danno, Dec 31, 2010.

1. danno

danno New Member

Can anyone tell me where the SN would be located on this rifle - I recently came into one and it looks like there is a stamped number in the metal on top (possibly J86 or 186) next to cock.

This is a Springfield 1830 - conversion to percussion with a 40" 1/2 - 42"
    barrel; lots of identifying marks.

Here are a couple of photos of the SN mark.

Thanks -

Attached Files:

2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The Model 1830 Cadet Musket was an exception to the general rule that muskets of that period did not have serial numbers. They had a number on the rear of the barrel and the same number on the bayonet lug.

A Model 1830, even converted to percussion, would be a valuable gun in anything like reasonable condition, but that gun looks to be in very bad shape.

Jim
  3. danno

danno New Member

Hello Jim,

Thanks for the reply. Actually, the rifle is in very good shape. What you see here is the area where the conversion from F/L to Percussion was worked (I think). The rest of the iron/steel has very rich patination. I do agree that it is not mint condition but overall very sound - trigger and cock mechanism are strong

You did allow me to find 2 more markings where the bayo lug would be. There isn't a bayo lug per-se. As stated, I did find the initials "CB" and the number
    "6" or "9" near the end of the last barrel ring. I will need to post these markings so they can be identified.

Here are some additional photos - let me know if there are specific areas to focus on and I will provide.

Rifle in full view - (sorry for the darkness of the photo)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  4. danno

danno New Member

Semi-Panoramic View

Attached Files:

5. danno

danno New Member

Rifle markings

Attached Files:

6. danno

danno New Member

More markings

Attached Files:

7. danno

danno New Member

This one is near the barrel end...

Attached Files:

8. danno

danno New Member

Any help with further id'ing this rifle would be greatly appeciated - will take more photos as requested.
  9. danno

danno New Member

Bringing this back up to see if Jim K or anyone else might want to comment further with the added photos being supplied.

Thanks - Danno
  10. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

11. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I don't think that is an 1830 Cadet Musket; it appears to be a Model 1816 converted to percussion. Three things would make the distinction positive. The Cadet musket has a lock only 5 3/8 inches long, where the Model 1816 lock is 6 1/2" long. The Cadet musket is .54 caliber, while the Model 1816 is .69. The Cadet barrel length is either 40 1/4" or 36", while the Model 1816 is 42".

Jim
  12. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

What about the '1830' stamped at the rear of the right lock plate?
  13. BullShoot

BullShoot New Member

I assume the 'NJ' on the barrel, left side above the sideplate, indicates New Jersey ownership at some point?
  14. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The "1830" on the lockplate is the year of manufacture, as normally marked on Springfield lockplates of that era. Oddly, although Cadet Muskets were marked "1830" and are often called the Model 1830, all 300 were actually produced in 1831.

I would assume that the "N.J." indicates a musket that was provided to that state as part of the normal delivery of muskets for the militia. It would be far more likely to appear on a Model 1816, than on a Cadet Musket (New Jersey received 465 Model 1816's in 1830 and 449 in 1831.)

All 300 "Model 1830" Cadet Muskets were delivered to West Point, although they may have been sold or distributed as surplus at some later date.

Jim
  15. danno

danno New Member

Jim,

I believe you are correct in that this is a first model 1816 converted to percussion with the 1830 lockplate. In my research on the internet I am seeing these rifles pop up. This is not the cadet and I agree with you on this as it has the characteristics you described as a 1816.

I am very curious as to the markings "CB" as they appear numerous times in various locations as the photos depict. In addition, it has 3 cartouches as well as the initials DF at the end of the trigger guard. Overall it is a very nice and historical piece of US history. By the way, I did have the bayonet and it is now afixed to bayo lug.

There is a similar rifle being sold by Antique Arms America Inc - (I think the one I have is in better overall condition :))
    http://www.antiquearmsamericainc.com/group-1.jpg
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2011