The Firearms Forum banner

Springfield 1903 information

7K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  dcriner 
#1 ·
I have almost completed cleaning this rifle my dad had lying in his closet since the early 70's encased in cosmoline. Rifle seems to be in excellent condition but is missing the front (middle) keeper band. From the serial number I know that it was built in 1930. It only has one cartouche on the stock the RA-P. Any additional information would be greatly appreciated to including where I could get a replacement band. Thanks in advance for the assistance.

See less See more
#2 ·
What's the barrel date? (Just behind the front sight on top of the barrel.)
RA-P is a proof from the Raritan Arsenal in New Jersey. Some rifles were rebuilt there, others were sent through Raritan for inspection before being released through the DCM. (Now called CMP)
That band should be easy to come by.

#4 ·
What's the barrel date? (Just behind the front sight on top of the barrel.)
RA-P is a proof from the Raritan Arsenal in New Jersey. Some rifles were rebuilt there, others were sent through Raritan for inspection before being released through the DCM. (Now called CMP)
That band should be easy to come by.
Barrel date is 8-30

the full barrel stamp is a SA above a bursting bomb then the 8-30 stamp.

#7 ·
musketshooter is correct. Scant stocks were "invented" in 1941 to use up the remaining supply of straight stock blanks. (They couldn't get a full "C" pistol grip out of them.) There should be a small "s" in the magazine cut-off notch. As this one doesn't appear to have one, I'm inclined to think the rifle was restocked at Raritan sometime later when it was prepared for sale through the CMP. The Raritan "RA-P" stamp is also much smaller than the one's I've seen on other WW2 rebuilds.

#9 ·
Looks like you've got a good one. (Not messed with or rebuilt, etc.)
Make sure you get a correct Springfield milled band and swivel.

Nice gun!!!
Well Just recieved the replacement band and wouldnt you know it. I found the old band, it was wrapped in a cosmoline rag I had on my cleaning table..... OK so one slap a piece and I'll be good.

Thsnks again for the information you have provided.

#10 ·
hello every one. im fairly new here and have enjoyed the wealth of info everyone has offered. im reading about what everyone has posted about 1903s.
i just got a remington 1903 a 3. according to the numbers i believe it to be built in '44. im just amazed how good of shape its in. i was wondering if you guys new much about if they really issued these guns into combat service or were these older designed guns used more for like home guard or just stock piled. i have not been able to shoot this new old toy yet but im told by everyone they're accurate to over a mile. also are there certain types of 30-06 ammo that should or should not be used.

thanks for any feed back

#11 · (Edited)
Barracuda - 1903A3 rifles actually did see a fair amount of combat duty in WW2. A good friend of mine was a Marine assigned to a self-propelled gun and did a lot of Island hopping and saw a good bit of combat. He initially had an M1 Carbine, but traded it to another Marine for a 1903A3 because of the poor stopping power of the little carbine.

You have to remember that from 1941 to 1945 the 1903A3 rifles were not 'older rifles relegated to Home Guard use". I believe that the 1903 and 1903A3 rifles were the official issue rifle of the Marine Corps until 1942. If my history memory is correct, the Army adopted the M1 Garand in 1938 or 1939, and still had the bolt action 1903s in service at the start of the War.

As far as ammo goes, your rifle will (if in good condition) safely shoot ANY commercial .30-06 ammo. I don't know about 'being accurate to over a mile', but they will shoot better than most people can aim them. An "Issued" 1903A3 has really nice, easy to use peep sights. Your sights are regulated for the M2 Ball ammo that used a 150 grain bullet travelling at about 2800 feet per second.

#12 ·
Thanks Jim Brady. I knew the 03s were still used, I just didn't know to what extent in WW2. from all ive read these rifles are tough as nails, rugged and reliable. thanks for the ammo tip. ill try and get some similar if not the same type of ammo for the sake of accuracy. this is actually my first center fire rifle and am excited as hell to shoot it. im just in my mid 20s and have grown up with black powder and .22s. this is new to me even if my rifle is pushing 70 years old. thanks again

#13 ·
My Dad was in the 41st RAINBOW Division. They patrolled the NW coast of the US right after Dec. '41. They were sent over to the north coast of Australia in early 1942 to protect against a Japanese invasion from New Guinea. His Division was issued the 1903s and weren't issued M1s until just before they invaded New Guinea. He said they had a lot of trouble with the early M1s - lots of jamming - but when they learned to use them and got proper ammo - they quickly fell in love with them. He got a battlefield commision while in New Guinea (after Buna or Hollandia amphib. landings) and was given an M1 Carbine. Had the bad experience of coming across and enemy scout - shot him twice with the Carbine, the guy turned and ran only to be dropped by another GI with a Garand. Dad returned his Carbine and took back a Garand, which he then carried for the rest of the War, through Borneo, Philippines, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.