springfield 1903A3

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by JLA, Jan 25, 2008.

1. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

how many of us here on this forum own such rifles... i have an opportunity to obtain another one for 200 bucks, i will more-than-likely buy it, but was just wondering how many springfields does one need??? or want??? or whatever....:D
  2. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    Need has nothing to do with it....

I've been collecting, swapping, shooting and restoring M1903's for years. For that price, as long as it shoots, buy it. If you don't I will.
  3. Nighthawk

Nighthawk New Member

yeah, I'd like to find one for 200
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

just got it back home... i hadnt seen it until i went to pick it up, this thing is pristine everywhere except the stock, the handguard is cracked, but still intact. it hasnt seen very many rounds at all. its a national ordnance mfg. by remington arms corp. sn-5,02x,xxx. it probly goes without saying that i was fighting back the biggest ear-to-ear grin the whole time i was taking the visa from my wallet:D... if it werent for the condition of the stock, and if it had a box, id say this was as close to NIB as a 50+ year old rifle gets... not too bad for a rainy friday afternoon:)
  5. Millwright

Millwright Active Member

Cracked handguard .......A not uncommon problem in '03's......and one that can be fixed very well with modern wood working techniques/materials, too. >MW
  6. 44spl

44spl New Member

I still have my dad's made in 1937. And still take deer with it. I would never trade or sell it no matter what the price
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

took it to my dads house over the weekend, it shoots good, i am happy with it...

BTW!!! while i was scrubbing the copper fouling from the barrel, i realized it is a 2 groove!!!
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2008
  8. musketshooter

musketshooter New Member

You have purchased an after market repro made by National Ordnance in El Monte CA. The were assembled from surplus US military parts and a new made investment cast receiver in the '60s. They are not a true copy since they don't have the clip slot for charger clip loading. The general concensus is that they are safe to shoot, but have no collector value. You did alright with the price since the parts are worth the price you paid.
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

good to know