The Firearms Forum banner

Springfield 1911 compact 4" with 6rd frame feeding problems

Tags
3K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  kcin75 
#1 ·
My springfield will start jamming after about 20rd. The last round will nose up or a live round stove pipe. I have sent it back to springfield once already inwhich they changed clips, replaced the recoil spring and adjusted extractor. After all that it still jamming on the last round doing the same thing. So guess I am going to send it back again........Has anyone else had this issue or any suggestons? Any help would be greatly apppreciated!

email: kcin75@yahoo.com

#3 ·
I'm pretty familiar with shooting handguns....I ran it with a desence amout of lubrication and it didnt help. Then i ran it so wet i could hardly hold on it with anti-friction lub didn't help one bit. i've tried differant brand of ammo, fmj, and hp....nothing seemed to help.

#4 ·
try magazines with longer feed lips

after 3 mags--perhaps the slide is so tight to the frame it starts to bind.

perhaps it will loosen a taste after 400 rounds.
cause its only the last round keep trying different magazines after the 20th round.

good luck
CC

#6 ·
Try changing magazines. My experience with the magazines from Springfield is they cause feed problems. I just bought a new Loaded model and have used only the factory mags to see how long it would be before I had problems. 250 later rounds and I experienced feed problems. I switched to my McComack magazines and problem went away.
This is my third Springer by the way.

#9 ·
I've tried a Night hawk 7rd mag thats made for a compact frame with the stronger spring but i've heard mix reviews about night hawk mags....some say they are complete crap wheres others claim that they are just a good as wilson combat. Also tried a colt 6rd and two new 7rd factory SA mags that worked prefectly in two differant full sizes SA, which both (guns and mags) are basicly brand new. With that being said the results with the differant mags were all the same; the last round noses up. But after talking wiht a gunsmiths at SA, He claimed that the compact 6rd frame may not function right unless you use a 6rd clip b/c the action on the compact frame is faster than a full size so it calls for a stronger mag spring which is in the 6rd clip. So they are sending me a free 6rd mag to try and if the new clip doen't solve the issue then guess i will send it back to Springfield.

But what i dont understand is, why will it feed right for about 3 clips but after that it will jam every time on the last round in the clip.

Thanks for the tips!

#10 ·
Does it make a difference of which mag. Is it the same mag each time that hangs on you or is it totally random. If you haven't done this, try marking the mags #1, #2, #3...run your test sequence and see if it isolates one mag that causes the problem.

If you can isolate that it is just a mag problem, then congrats!!! you got a custom throat, ramp, chamber polish and spring work outta the deal :D

Seems odd to me that Springfield is telling you that you need a different factory mag. If that is a typical problem, why didn't it come with those mags in the first place? Why did they do the throat, ramp etc. if it just needed a 6 rnd mag to solve the problem.

I always question when they say "Oh, it really needs THIS part, and not the one that came with your new gun/tool/car/etc."

If you isolate the problem to the factory mags, toss em' in the corner and get a couple of Wilson's or McCormicks.
If it's not the mags, then time to ask Springfield for a new gun.

#11 ·
When it is cleaned and freshly oiled it will shoot fine no matter what mag i use but after i run about 3 maybe 4 mags through it starts jamming on the last round. Once it starts jamming it doesn't matter which mag i use.

The gun was used when i bought it and came with a 6rd colt mag. Springfield didn't do the polishing of the throat, ramp, and chamber. The gunshop where i bought gun from tried to fix it with the polishing work and a new mag which didn't solve the issue. So got the gunshop to ship it back to Springfield and then Springfield change the recoil spring and the adjust the extractor and also made sure everything was in spec. And while i had the gun at Springfield i got them to do some custom work. I had them up grade the beavertail, match trigger, high cut relief under the trigger gaurd and had them refinished everthing so that it all would match. Which sucks b/c i'm even deeper into this 1911 that wont function. I mean hell, who would have guessed that springfield wouldn't have fixed the issue? I mean really, they build darn thing they should be able to fix it! lol But i dont think they did that great of a job on the high cut relief; it feels good but i dont really like the way it looks. Over all the little gun looks pretty good and feels pretty good. It just wont feed right

But i wish i could isolate the problem b/c its costing me a small fortune in ammo trying to figure it out!

Thanks

#12 ·
At this point, I think I would try a Wilson mag. Another $30 as a last ditch effort. Bet it will work
If not, u can still use the mag with your replacement weapon, or sell it for near what you paid.

Aslo, the Colt mags that it came with, if they are used, may have weak springs in them. When the gun warms up, tolerances get just a little tighter, just enough to hinder a weak spring...Wolff sells XP springs, or just do the Wilson so everything is new.

Worth a try

#13 ·
mark the base of the bullets
when it starts to jam
load them so you know their orientation.
cycle them by hand and examine the bullets.

any mark on them that lines up with the slide stop?

the last round has the weakest mag spring so the slightest touching of the slide stop on the inside of the mag well may be enough to upset it.

also try using a SWC as the last round.

#14 · (Edited)
I've tried a Night hawk 7rd mag thats made for a compact frame with the stronger spring but i've heard mix reviews about night hawk mags....some say they are complete crap wheres others claim that they are just a good as wilson combat. Also tried a colt 6rd and two new 7rd factory SA mags that worked prefectly in two differant full sizes SA, which both (guns and mags) are basicly brand new. With that being said the results with the differant mags were all the same; the last round noses up. But after talking wiht a gunsmiths at SA, He claimed that the compact 6rd frame may not function right unless you use a 6rd clip b/c the action on the compact frame is faster than a full size so it calls for a stronger mag spring which is in the 6rd clip. So they are sending me a free 6rd mag to try and if the new clip doen't solve the issue then guess i will send it back to Springfield.

But what i dont understand is, why will it feed right for about 3 clips but after that it will jam every time on the last round in the clip.

Thanks for the tips!
First, there is nothing wrong with NHC mags. I own 7 NHCs and several Wilsons and run them all the time. I probably own 75-100 NHC mags. If one fails all you do is send it back to NHC and they send you a new one. However, I have never had one fail.

Second, not putting too much oil on a 1911 is a good idea as too much oil can cause a weapon to get dirty faster.... Look at the video I posted above and resist the temptation to put more lubricant than necessary on the weapon.

Third, if you desire 6 rd Mags get some from Checkmate. They are excellent mags if you desire not to purchase the Wilson or NHC which are IMO better, but Checkmate has expecially good 6 rd mags, et. al. for those on a budget. I still run 10 of them....

Fourth, how are you holding your 1911? The tendency with smaller framed 1911s (especially as you get tired ...) is to put a finger on the bottom of the mag, etc. (inadvertently pushing up on the mag ...). DO NOT do this - as it can cause a malfunction. You may already know this, but it helps to check yourself ....

Fifth, if all this fails send it to SA -

#15 · (Edited)
why will it feed right for about 3 clips
by the 3rd mag perhaps enough crud has been deposited on the sliding parts by the blow-by gasses to 'weaken' the power of the recoil enough to allow even the smallest problem to manifest.

....check for the head of the bullet in the mag for contact with the slide stop.
this will occur as it is raising up and just prior to its feeding

#16 ·
Claude, you had a really good idea with the hand cycling.

I hand cycled several full mags through the gun and the last round is getting a gash on the nose.....but its on from the slide stop. I marked the rounds so that i would know the orianation of the rd. I think it may be coming from the throat on the ejection port side of the gun. Btw I order a wilson combat 7rd mag made for a compact maybe that mag will do the trick.

#17 · (Edited)
Doc If I'm not mistaken Checkmate manufactures Springfield's mag or least thats what a gunsmith at Springfield told me over the phone. Or maybe I'm wrong but I know he said that the company's name was something simular to Checkmate....I know was "Check" something or rather. lol

Sorry i'm having trouble typing and spelling today! damn dyslexia is kicking in lol

#18 ·
Well, I tried the wilson combat mag that I ordered and the new mag that SA sent me but neither one fixed the issue. So I shipped it back to SA. But thanks for all of the advice and ideas. Y'all have been an awesome group of guys!

p.s. I'll post a fallow up once its fixed and what was causing the problem. lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.