Springfield 1911 Government

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by 312shooter, Dec 30, 2009.

1. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Can anyone offer information or opinions on the springfield government model 1911? I believe it was discontinued around 2001.

Also, what price range would a 99% condition stainless model, one owner; fired 200 rounds be?

Thanks to everyone, I am anxiously looking forward to jumping into the 1911 world if I get the right price, pictures will be on the way.
  2. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

Dunno about that think the springfield arms co. is still producing them. Depends on your preference's I guess. Seen the standard springfield a few weeks ago for 528. new. At only 200 rounds I would have to be worried why the guy dont like it. Stainless will be higher than blue or parkerized. I bought a charles daly 45 last summer and really like it I gave 550 for it and didnt think I was getting hurt. And really the value of a gun depends on you, whats it worth to you? Hope you do good!
    oh 1 thing though I still prefer my wheel guns. LOLOLOLOL
  3. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Lotsdragon,

$400 was tossed around but I wanted to ask the pro's. Its a co-worker so I don't want to make a bad deal for either on of us.
  4. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

shooter, I have been looking in the Blue Book for the past 10 minutes trying to answer your question. It does not show a "government model" 1911. The closest thing I can find is a 1911-A1 Standard Model but is doesn't show one in stainless. I just don't know if I am looking in the right place or not.

I will say that if you can get it for $400 then you had better grab it. I bought two used 1911's during the month of November, both blue finish, and paid $425 for one and $480 for the other.
  5. 308 at my gate

308 at my gate New Member

I have a colt 1911 series 70 and a springfield 1911. Both guns shoot fine. The finish is not quit as nice on the springfield but it is a good shooter. Google it and see what one prices out for. I would think that 400.00 seems fair.
  6. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I would buy it if it has only had 200rds thru it.
  7. NonPCnraRN

NonPCnraRN New Member

As others have said, I would want to know why someone got rid of it with only 200 rounds through it. If the gun is without problems and the price is right, go for it. However, I would get a Milspec instead. It has a few changes that I feel are necessary but the gun closely resembles a GI Gov't Model. It has a polished chamber and feed ramp. It has a lowered and flared ejection port. It has much better sights. That is the most important to me. It retains the hammer, grip safety and arched main spring housing of the GI Model. It does not have a lanyard ring which may or may not be important to you. It also has slanted slide grooves vs the perpendicular slide gooves of the GI. Again, I don't know if that is important to you. It retains the GI look with the minor changes previous noted. The sights of the Milspec will make it much easier to aim. The GI model has a notoriously small front sight. If you are going to use it for self defense and use the point shooting technique then the smallish front sights won't matter. I prefer a good front sight as that is what one should focus on with the rear sight and the target a bit fuzzy. Both will need an action job if you are picky like me. I paid SA $80 for an action job for a 4# trigger that breaks like a glass rod. The trigger pull was out of spec at 8# and SA paid FedEx both ways. They would have fixed the trigger to be within spec, but 5.5-6.5 pounds is too heavy for me. 4# is as low as they can go with the original stainless parts. If you pay for a tool steel hammer and sear you can get a 3 pound trigger. Since my gun is for self defense I figured 4# was a better choice, as my wife will use the gun and is not as experienced as I am. If I gave her the stainless Milspec I would get another in a heartbeat and pay the extra money for a 3# pull. So if you want a GI looking gun, but with a few extras that will vastly improve your gun, get the Milspec either park'd or stainless. I like the look of the stainless and I can have it blackened by Robar if I change my mind. Good luck with whatever gun you decide to go with.
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  8. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Great insight! Thanks I think I might save another 300 bucks and get the milspec. I'm just PO'd about SA making them in Brazil, I wonder with the government model to get the ejection port worked, polish the feed ramp and get SA to adjust the trigger as you mentioned for same $300 difference.
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2010