springfield a-1 loaded problem

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Big Chevy, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Big Chevy

Big Chevy Member

So I had to send my brand new Springfield a 1 loaded back to Springfield to have them fix it. Not sure what's wrong with it, I took it to the range and shot fine, cleaned it and put it back together, after I rack it a few times the slide gets stuck back. Took it apart and put it back together 20 time same thing happens everytime.
  2. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Uh, you do mean with the magazine out right?
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  3. Big Chevy

Big Chevy Member

That's too funny double d, of course. Sometimes it wouldn't happen until I rack it like 15 times, then it gets stiff and sticks.
  4. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

hmmm...

had to send my TRP back when I got it, it was too 'tight'. And yeah, ya gotta take the empty mag out, hahaa!

Methinks you will have a better gun when it comes back, almost a good thing to have some 'special' attention by the manufacturer IMO.
  5. Double D

Sorry, you just never know. I wish I had an answer. I have had to polish my frame and rails before but it was tight all the time and not just after racking for a while. You dont see any metal shavings or gouging or scraping anywhere do you?
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  6. Big Chevy

Big Chevy Member

No not at all, I took it to the local gun shop, I looked at it with the gunsmith he told me to put graphite between the slide and the frame on the rails and rack it a bunch and loosen it up. I decided not to do that because it's brand new, so I sent it back to Springfield. it was real tight from side to side but not when you pulled the slide back.
  7. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

good call, I wouldn't hesitate to let SA give it a 2nd once over, I've no doubt that you will have a fantastic 1911 when she comes back!

They gave me a check to reimburse shipping also when I sent mine in, so free dollars for peace of mind. Only cost is the wait, took about 2 weeks I think max for me.
  8. Double D

It almost sounds like a metal problem to me. I wonder if they had an issue with a batch of slides or maybe just a few of them. It just seems like it would do it all the time. Warming the metal shouldnt cause resistance but if the metal has a defect, maybe it is loosing its shape somehow when it warms up and is causing binding. I know that sounds far fetched but I am sitting here racking a slide back and forth trying to figure out what it could be. Oh well, springfield will fix it but I hope they will tell you what the problem was. If they will admit it.
  9. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I'm sure that it will work great when you get it back. Their customer service is superb. Get yourself some SBGO.
  10. Big Chevy

Big Chevy Member

Yeah SA customer service is great they sent me a prepaid postage label. I actually sent it off a couple weeks ago so I should get it back any day. where can I get some of that silver bullet gun oil?
  11. Double D

You can go to woodnuts (carls) website here at the forum. He will fix you right up. If you dont see what you want, send him a PM or call him.

http://www.cwgrips.com/
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  12. Big Chevy

Big Chevy Member

Thanks for the info Double D!!