springfield armory 1911 black and stainless

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by 38 special, Mar 3, 2009.

1. 38 special

38 special New Member

I have the above titled 45 auto. It is a fine looking pistol but I am not getting great groups with it. At 30 yards what would you expect from this gun? (off sand bags rest) 1 ich,2inch ? THe best Ive done is 3 inch group That seems poor for match grade barrell although the trigger pull is not that great. Is trigger pull easily adjustable on this gun?
  2. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman New Member

Conditions can vary your groups greatly. Weather/Wind/Tempature even
    Try another type/manufacturer of ammo to see if that tightens em up.
    Trigger pull needs to be very consistant to get 1" groups.
  3. CD Woods

CD Woods New Member

I picked up a Springfield Armory 1911A1 just a while back and I love the way it shoots. Most of the time if you do not get a good shot group, its because of trigger control. You should practice with a dime placed on the top of the slide close to the front sight and then dry fire with no ammo. When you can pull the trigger and drop the hammer without the dime falling three times in a roll, you will have learned trigger control and your shot groups will be much better.

Have Fun
  4. Goneracin

Goneracin New Member

that sounds like a good trick, i will have to try that
  5. FJF0311

FJF0311 New Member

Don't ask me why, but I never got good groups off a bag, with a 1911, if I rested the forward part of the gun. (Trigger guard and forward)

Doing a trigger job on 1911's is not hard, but not for the novice. if you do decide to try, buy a new sear, and hammer now. you will f@%k up your first one.
    If you do decide to try, after you buy the new parts, pm me, and I'll tell you what I've learned.
  6. tex45acp

tex45acp New Member

38 special,

How many rounds do you have through the gun? I had a stainless loaded that sprayed around like a shotgun until it hit roughly 500 rounds then it all came together and the groupings were more what I expected at 25yards. 1.5-2.5" consistiently. Another consideration is the ammo. I have found that some 1911's prefer certain brands, bullet shapes and weights to be accurate on a consistient basis. Try other ammo if you have not already done so!! Eliminate all these variables before you go messing with the trigger/hammer. Oh something else...the trigger should get markedly better after that many rounds as well.

tex45acp
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
  7. 38 special

38 special New Member

Well I only have about 3 boxes (150?) thru it maybe I will try more and see what happens Thanks
  8. glocknut

glocknut New Member

That's not even close to being broke in yet. I saw a big difference in my Dan Wesson once i got to 350 rounds....

mike
    gn