Springfield Armory G.I. 1911

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Teejay9, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Southwest Corner of the US, "Where no stinking fen
    I'm looking into the Springfield Armory's basic WWII 1911A1. Basic GI sights and parkerized, no frills, all steel . Anyone had any experience good/bad? TJ
  2. robertscheib

robertscheib New Member

Have one - well son has it now!!! - bought it new - I was very impressed with fit/finish. My only knock was the fixed sights - my tired old eyes just aren't what they used to be!! so I passed the "GI" on to my son and bought a stainless "Mil-Spec" which I am very happy with. Fit/finish/accuracy impresses even my KIMBER and DALEY 1911 owning friends.
  3. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Thanks guys, I thought it looked pretty good, but so did the Sig Mosquito :p. I'm looking for the old WWII type, no frills, fixed sights OK, reliable .45. This one's looking pretty good. Thanks for your feedback. TJ
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  4. techoca

techoca New Member

I love mine. It now serves as my oldest boys' range gun.
    I will never get rid of mine. Just one of several 1911's I own.

techoca
  5. redhart

redhart New Member

I have some photos of mine posted here somewhere,good guns,no problems.
  6. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

The Springfield Milspec GI's are now made in Brazil, how depressing. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it stamped on the frame. That to me is kind of like buying a US flag that was made in China.
  7. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I almost bought one. I decided to go with my RIA instead because it was less expensive. I don't know what all the Springfields are like, but the GI model I was looking at was the same one you were and one thing about it that I wanted to stay away from was that it smashed the ejected shells so you couldn't reload them. I thought someday I might want my spent brass for something. I am considering getting the 9mm Springfield 1911... think it's the GI style too in stainless steel. Just a beautiful gun. I like parkerized, but I really want a stainless steel gun. It's either that or a Glock 19. And I think I'd rather go with a 1911 just because I'm more familiar with the design/disassembly when I go to clean it or get replacement parts.

But definitely. I would say for the price, Springfield is one of the best 1911's you can find.
  8. techoca

techoca New Member

There is no problem reloading brass that has been shot in a Government model 1911.

Reloaders have been reloading .45ACP long before there was lowered ejection ports on 1911s; that is what a sizer die is for.
  9. TTUshooter

TTUshooter New Member

I had one, it was a fine gun. I found myself wanting more of the "advanced features. (beavertail grip safety, better sights, etc.) I ended up trading it in for a taurus PT1911.
  10. kingnothingugm

kingnothingugm Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought it was only the frame which is manufactured in Brazil. Even so, They are supposedly made on colt machinery. RIA are made in the Phillippines.
  11. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

12. NonPCnraRN

NonPCnraRN New Member

All Sprinfield slides and frames are made in Brazil. Some guns are assembled in Brazil. Their SN starts with Nxxxxxxx. Some guns are assembled in the USA and their SNs start with NMxxxxxx. I bought a stainless (N) Milspec that is better put together than a Colt Gov't Model I bought in the early 70s. When I bought the Colt I had to send it to a gunsmith to turn it into the equivalent of a Milspec. I had the chamber polished, better sights installed, lowered and a flared ejection port. My Milspec came out of the box that way. Plus it has a lifetime warranty. The trigger was out of spec at 8 lbs. SA paid for FedEx shipping both ways. Since I wanted a 4.0# trigger and spec was 5-6#s, I paid $80 extra for an action job. Trigger breaks like a glass rod at 4.0#, no creep, if there is any overtravel I can't feel it. It does not have an overtravel screw. The Milspec looks like a GI 1911 except for the previously mentioned changes. I like sights I can actually see with 58 y/o eyes and a good trigger. I requested a 4# trigger as this will be a SD gun, but if I spent a little more for some tool steel parts I could have gotten a 3.0 trigger. I wanted to keep the stainless parts.
  13. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Went ahead and got the "Mil Spec." NM, but stayed with the Parkerized version. Thanks for your input. TJ