Springfield Armory Hi-Cap Standard .45

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Stays_Crunchy, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Stays_Crunchy

Stays_Crunchy New Member

I have a small collection of WWII rifles. An M1 Garand, Kar98, Arisaka and others. I decided I wanted to venture into the world of handguns but not something vintage like my rifles, just a solid piece to go put some holes in paper out at the range.

I like the 1911 style based mainly on my interest in WWII weapons and history. I decided I wanted a Springfield Armory because my M1 Garand is a Springfield Armory (and yes I know it's not the same Springfield Armory) and also I read they are some of the best handguns out there. Problem is, the new ones are hard to find and out of my price range. So a few weeks ago I came across a very nice used one at a pawn shop. From my limited research, I deduced it was the "Mil-Spec" because the serrations on the slide were at an angle instead of vertical. Also, the trigger was silver (aluminum) colored and has three holes drilled in it. Anyway, the price was right so I bought it.

When I got it home, the first thing I did was call Springfield Armory and order a set of the wood grips with the cross-cannon logo on them because it had some ugly rubber Hogue grip on it when I got it. When I got the new grips, they don't fit! I called them back (very nice people to deal with by the way) and explained the situation. After giving her my serial number, she determined that I had what she called a "High Capacity Standard .45, Parkerized." I did a little poking around the 'net and from what I can tell, it's basically a 1911 (the slide even says 1911A1) with a fatter grip area to accomodate a higher capacity magazine.

Now here (eventually, sorry I tend to ramble) are my questions:
    • Is this true?
    • Is this the only difference between this and a standard 1911?
    • Is this gun better, worse, or no different than a standard 1911?
    • Is it worth more money or less? (not that I'd sell it, just curious.)
    Thanks in advance! :D
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

1. It's true.

2. The difference is the frame, trigger and magazine. All other parts interchange.

3. No different just more rounds.

4. Worth more or less ? Depends on the condition of the pistol. You know it's worth what you just paid for it. :)

Enjoy your new 1911 and don't forget to give us a range report. :)
  3. Stays_Crunchy

Stays_Crunchy New Member

Great, thanks for your help! :)

I'm taking it out for the first time this weekend so I'll let you all know how she does. I was pretty excited to find it in the first place (I don't know about where you live, but around here you can't even find new Springfields and used is simply out of the question) but then I was worried there was some sinister reason nobody else bought it before I got there.
  4. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Give it a good cleaning and a light lube before shooting.

Also, new mags are available from www.brownells.com

You will want a few spare's.