Springfield Armory M1 Garand

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by 45nut, Mar 1, 2007.

1. 45nut

45nut Active Member

Years ago my Dad's friend who was a gunsmith, told Dad he had a good Garand for sale. All that he did to it was replace some newer wood with some of the correct age. The serial number is 330,XXX which puts it being made in September of 1941.:eek:

How cool is that? My first question is about value, but I will need to take some pictures and post later. The second question is about reliability. Wasn't there some problem with the early guns about the 7th round not loading or jamming? When (serial # wise) did they correct that at the factory?

Thanks for any answers and I can't wait to shoot it!

Steve
  2. 45nut

45nut Active Member

Well, I got some bad news last night. The serial number was 7 digits instead of 6, so instead of it being made in 1941, it was made in 1945. Still, it will be nice to finally shoot it.