Springfield Armory M1A ????

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by LDBennett, Sep 18, 2011.

1. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Anyone got feedback on the current Springfield Armory M1A's?

Are they really worth between $1600 to $2000+ ? Just a few years ago they were at $1000. What happened? (Obama got elected???).

I would like the Loaded CA legal version with a walnut stock but the cost is a big deterrent. I already own an FN-FAL and a PTR-91 (H&K 91 clone) in 308, two Garand M1's (Beretta CAI makeover and a CMP Special) in 30-06 and a varmintized AR-15 clone in 223 (and tons of other rifles and handguns). I am drawn to the Springfield Armory M1A because it is an updated Garand M1. I like the way it was designed as it fixed all the issues I have with the M1 Garands.

Anyone got a take on this?

LDBennett
  2. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I've heard they are overpriced, but they're a great rifle.
  3. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I bought a standard M1A in Nov 2009 and paid right at $1350 for it. It had a synthetic stock on it when I bought it. I immediately ordered an M14 stock and replaced the Synthetic one. The standard rifle was a very good shooter (a tremendous amount better than me) but being worth $1600 to $2000, I just don't think so. I sold that rifle last week for $1200.
  4. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

LD - The current prices if M1As is really high. I think they are over priced these days because the M14s have made a come back with the military in Afghanistan and people like military issed firearms.

I bought my first M1A back in 1981 for use with my ARNG Rifle Team in formal competition. It was a standard issue rifle, but I had an ARNG Armorer rebuild it to competition grade. Nothing special - just smoothed out the trigger and made sure everything fitted together properly. It out-shot lots of Match Grade M14s. I paid $600 for it back then.

IMHO, it is a waste of money for the average shooter to spend extra money for a "Match Grade" M1A. First of all, a "Standard Grade" M1A will shoot better than most people can shoot. Second, at ranges under 200 yards, good Ball M80 ammo will perform just about as well as Match M118. At least my rifle shoots M80 ammo that way. I can't see any difference at 200 yards between the two. Get past 200 yards and the 168 and 173 grain bullets come into their own.

When it comes to stainless steel barrel, special stocks and gas port systems, it is my humble opinion that these add confidence to the shooter more than any real aid to the rifle itself. The half-minute Match rear sights offer more precise adjustments, but other than that, an off-the-rack M1A should do anything that a Match Grade can do.
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  5. LDBennett

jim brady:

The price differential between the regular Standard and the Loaded (with the match barrel and match sights is now only $200. So my thought was that if the investment was going to have to be $1600 to $1800, the Loaded is only about 10% more.

But I have a problem with the base price of $1600 for a gun that was only about $1200 three years ago. I'm just looking for someone to rave about their M1A so I can get excited about spending that kind of money for a military gun that is nothing special (??). NO takers yet! My interest is waning.

LDBennett
  6. jim brady

If you are looking for someone to rave about their M1A, I can do that. I have more than 15 rifles, and my M1A would be the very last rifle that I would ever part with. It is a fine piece of engineering marvel. My M1A has never hicupped one time in thousands of rounds fired thru it. You almost have to work hard to miss with it.

It is rugged, sturdy, hard-hitting and accurate as all get out. Great looker, too. Steel and real walnut wood. Not a single bit of plastic or poly-anything on it. If you wanted a rifle that you can depend on, look no further than the M1A.

Springfield is getting upwards of $1600 for them these days? That looks like what the market will bear, so they are getting it. If I was new to buying rifles, I'd have to think real hard about spending that kind of money. You can get a truck load of Mosin Nagants for that price, but you still wouldn't have the best rifle ever produced. Nothing special about the M1A? You and me are in different boats on that train of thought. To my thinking, there is nothing not special about an M1A.

As far as the extra $200 for the 'upgraded version', I still hold firm that the basic rifle offers everthing that you could want. The blued (or parkerized) barrel will but the same bullets in the same holes as will the stainless steel barrel for most shooters. A fellow wants to spend the extra money, good for them.
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  7. LDBennett

jim brady:

Like I said in the original post:

"I would like the Loaded CA legal version with a walnut stock but the cost is a big deterrent. I already own an FN-FAL and a PTR-91 (H&K 91 clone) in 308, two Garand M1's (Beretta CAI makeover and a CMP Special) in 30-06 and a varmintized AR-15 clone in 223 (and tons of other rifles and handguns)."

The FN-FAL is a looker and a shooter. The PTR-91 (H&K 91 clone) is very accurate. Both are magazine fed 308 military arms. Neither of these guns purchased in the last few years was anywhere near the price of the M1A. Is the M1A that much better? Will an M1A outshoot my CMP Garand? The M1A is a evolution of the Garand. Unless heavily tuned, Garands do not have a reputation for superior accuracy. In fact those that have them claim a good one shoots typically 2 inch groups at 100 yds.

I like the M1A's magazine feeding, the match barrel, and the match sights but still there is that huge $1600 to $1800 price. It is not like I don't have other accurate rifles but those that I have cost about half of what the M1A's are now going for. I would not mind a $1200 M1A but $1600 (Standard version) to $1800 (Loaded version) ??? The question is the M1A really worth that much more than the several guns I have that are very much like it?

Would you pay the going price to replace yours if you somehow lost yours?

I am really on the fence. I want it but the price is a really big deterent, all things considered.

LDBennett
  8. jim brady

LD - I've read this and some of your other posts, and I am aware that you have - and you are rightly proud of your CMP Garand - and that you have the excellant FN-FAL.

I guess the point I am hopeing to make is that the M1A is the next step in the evolution of the Garand. That is quite a leap, because the Garand is itself an outstanding rifle. With the updated gas system and the detachable box magazine ammunition loading improvements, the M1A is, in my opinion, far superior to the Garand.

It is my humblest of humble opinions that while the FN is a very good rifle, and has a proven track record, it doesn't measure up to the M1A. I don't think anyone has made one that does. If the chips were to fall in a very bad place, I'd sure want an M1A.

Would I spend $1600 to $1800 for a replacement for my M1A? Yes, I believe I would, even if that meant unloading a part of my collection to do so. Am I happy that Springfield Armory jumped it's prices in the last few years? No, of course not. I think a fair price for an M1A should be about $800 to $900 or so.

Then the question of would it be worth spending the extra money for a new M1A when other decent rifles are available at a lower cost comes into play. I think I'd rather spend more for a really great rifle than spend less for a good one. If I bought another less costly rifle, I think in the end I'd regret not spending the extra money and not getting the one I really wanted.

Will an M1A outshoot a Garand? I tend to think so, but it would surely be a very close contest. The en-bloc 8 shot clip in the Garand is, at least to me, a hinderance against any contest between the two. You have an extra 12 shots in the M1A. I really am a huge fan of the .30 M2 and M-72 ammo in a Garand, but in power and range that contest between the M-80 and the M-118 in 7.62 NATO is too close to call.

The final factor - at least to me - is that if I were a person who regularly sold or traded rifles, I imagine that I'd end up selling the M1A at some point down the road. Then it would be a matter of resale value. In my case I had to sell off my collection when I got my divorce from Bimbo. The first thing I did, as soon as I could afford to - was to replace my M1A. My first M1A cost about $600 back in 1981. The replacement was about $1100 in 1994.
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  9. LDBennett

jim brady:

Thanks for your input. I'll take it into consideration but I'm still on the fence. I'd really like to hear from a FN-FAL or PTR-91 owner that also owns an M1A.

LDBennett