springfield armory mil-spec ??

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by oldgunfan, Jan 11, 2011.

1. oldgunfan

oldgunfan New Member

I was reading shooter45's post on national match 45's and I remembered that I have a springfield mil-spec that maybe someone can shed some light on. I got it about 5yrs ago it's 2 tone parkerized darker on the slide than on the frame, the frame has more of a gray to it and the ser# prefix is MN. does that mean anything? It does shoot really good.
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Just part of the serial #
  3. oldgunfan

oldgunfan New Member

I would have to pull it apart but even the dealer I purchased it from noticed that the frame has ser# prefix NM than the number but the other parts don't have the NM prefix. could this be a parts gun?
  4. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

No. Actually that prefix is common on the MilSpec. The MilSpec is an excellent base for a custom pistol.
  5. oldgunfan

oldgunfan New Member

Ok I didn't think it meant anything, thanks shooter45 for reply. It is customized alot of wilson parts, one ragged hole shooter.
  6. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Southwest Corner of the US, "Where no stinking fen
    It indicates that the gun is US made. If you strip it down, you'll find a strange number and awled on top firing pin housing you'll find the last 3 digits of S/N. The frame also has another set of numbers. I asked Springfield about, having the concern that it was a parts gun and they assured me that these # signified batched number. Perhaps the get their forgings from two different resources, or they match up separately when assembled. I love mine. I don't a fancy, expensive somewhat gaudy pistol. I want what was carried in 4 wars. I think Browning would approve of the upgrade from the original to the Mil Spec. (Browning was very Spartan with his sights)
    Don't worry, you have a top notch, excellently crafted US made pistol.
    If you have any more questions, or would just like to know, either call or e-mail their Customer Service. They'll tell you down to the month it was made. TJ
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2011