1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Springfield Armory Rifle

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by JG90977, Jun 29, 2011.

1. JG90977

JG90977 New Member

Hi, I have a US Springfield Armory EL1903. The markings on the barrel say ARK 1 but I assume its MARK 1. The barrel is 32 and overall length is 45. I am wondering what it is worth (ballpark)? Thanks in advance.
  2. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

jg90977 - Sorry, without pictures that "Springfield" could be anything from a Flintlock Musket to a Rock Star. Try to post some pictures, or at least if you could provide a more detailed description (what kind of action - bolt/percussion/flintlock, semi-auto or??????; how many digits of a serial number and what numbers are the first half (to establish year made); appear military or civilian; most of the major parts there or appear missing; things like these and any visable markings help a lot in determining what we are talking about.

Without pictures (but with a more complete description) you can get a really, really ROUGH guestimate on value; If you can provide pictures you can get closer to the real-deal on value.

From the info provided (and tuneing in my crystal ball) I think you may have a U.S. Model 1903 rifle. If the markings are faint or ground off, you have an altered 1903 Springfield. If that's the case, maybe the receiver has been 'drilled and tapped' for a scope mount system if there are screw holes on the top of the main part (receiver) of the rifle? . What sort of stock that is on it depends on when it was produced, if it is a 1903. The year that it was made will even tell you if it is a 'high-number' or 'low-number' 1903, again if that's what you have, and if altered if it even has any value as a shooter or not. Does it have the old finish, or has it been refinished and re-blued? If a 1903, what stampings are on the barrel just behind the front sight, if any?

So my friend, not trying one little bit to sound snotty, you have to provide much more info for help of any value. Hope this advice helps. Good luck - Jim
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

It sounds like parts of the markings have been removed or covered up. It is probably a Model 1903. Mark I, which is the standard M1903 as altered for use with the so-called Pedersen device. Since most of those rifles were changed back to the standard when the decision was made to scrap the Pedersen device, the only sign of it, other than the Mark I stamping, is the cartridge ejection port on the left of the receiver.

Value depends mainly on condition and originality, which we can't judge without some good pictures. If the stock has been cut and/or the receiver drilled and tapped for a scope mount, it has almost no collector value.

Jim