Springfield Armory

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by norahc, Feb 14, 2012.

1. norahc

norahc Active Member

An hour's drive from the nearest McDonald's
    Was at the local gun shop today using the H.I.P. method (Hands In Pockets). While browsing the display case, I noticed a new Springfield Armory SA 1911 for $830.

What is everyone's thoughts on Springfields 1911s, and the cost for this one?
  2. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Springfield makes great products. The price depends on what type of 1911 it is. They have the GI, the Mil-Spec, the Loaded, the TRP, the Range Officer, the EMP.

I have a Loaded and I paid $919 new.
  3. Gahunter12

Gahunter12 Active Member

I love my SA Loaded. I spent a year looking at SA, Kimber, RIA, Remington, American Classic, S & W. I ended up going with a SA. It has been 100% reliable. I am already planning on a TRP now. $830 for a Loaded is not bad. A better price can be found, but they have been hard to come by latley. It took me 6 months just to find mine locally. I could have ordered one off the net, but I really wanted to hold it and check it out in person before droping the cash. My loaded was $850, but asked the Shop owner for his best price, and ended up walking out at $825 after tax. If its a Range Officer, Mil Spec, or GI, its way to high IMO
  4. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

So far the concensus has been positive but I'm gonna disagree, Springfield has really disappointed me compared to others out there. First, unless its a EMP or Custom shop, its made in Brazil. The fitting and finish on them has been really poor. I get more springfields in to make right than any other manufacture that is right out of the factory. I know there are people that love them and when they do work, they work but compared to others they seem crude and sloppy.
  5. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I shot the Kimber Custom II out on the range about the same time as I was buying my Springfield Loaded. The Kimber IMO was better quality, a little more accurate, but I just hated the fact that Kimbers customer service sucks and their 1911 costed a bit more.

The GI/Mil Spec I think are reasonably priced if you buy from a ma & pa gun shop (not Gander Mountain). The Range Officer IMO is really not necessary unless you're just going to be doing a lot of target shooting.

The TRP IMO is a GREAT gun for the price. One of the most accurate 1911's I've shot. Right up there in quality with Colt IMO. Even though I'd still say out of all the not-custom 1911s I've shot (like not Ed Browns, Wilsons, Nighthawks, etc), Colt is still the best quality 1911 I've seen.

And then the issue with the EMP for me is that they don't offer it in .45ACP. 9mm in an all steel gun like that in a small package too would be a perfect CCW piece especially with 9mm being very easy for me to control, but I just wish they offered it in .45.
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  6. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

A lot of forgings are done in Brazil though. I would agree the fit isn't as good as on something US-fit like a Colt, but that's easily fixed. All I did was drop in a good Colt barrel bushing since my factory Springfield part was a loose fit. Colt = much better. Tore out the two-piece guide rod too and put a GI-spec one in. Again, used a Colt part.

Their quality may be inconsistent, but their customer service is great. I have heard all about the Kimber horror stories and IMO that's what drives me away from their product.

Too bad Colts are so expensive and have that stupid firing pin block in them or that's what I would buy.

That's the high cost of low price though. If the forgings and all the fitting was done in the US, the gun would cost more and would be like Colt and price themselves out of a market.
  7. kvtcomdo

kvtcomdo New Member

They are great guns for the $. Excellent customer service as well.
    Which one were you looking at; sounds like a loaded or equivalent for the $.:cool:
  8. norahc

norahc Active Member

An hour's drive from the nearest McDonald's
    Unfortunately, I don't remember which one it was.
  9. Whiskey

Whiskey New Member

Springfields are very good firearms with very good customer service. A little more info on Springfields. From what I gather if the serial number starts with NM, then the mostly finished frame (done at Imbel) was sent over, finished at the Springfield plant, and then the 1911 is completed in its entirety there. It has been mentioned that the NM series have a better frame and slide fit than the N and are much preferred. If it says "made in brazil" "brazil" "fi brazil" "Imbel" "Imbel brazil" then more than 50% of the firearm was made in brazil. There is so many threads on this but this one seems to stand. Here are some threads discussing the issue.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=335637

http://www.1911addicts.com/showthrea...-number-prefix

http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=49574
  10. Python

Python Former Guest

Worth every dollar I payed for it.

Attached Files:

11. Brass Tacks

Brass Tacks New Member

I purchased a SA EMP 9mm last Friday. The fit and finish are excellent! 100 rounds fired today with -0- failures. Sights are dead on at 10 yards. A couple hundred more FMJs and I'll start feeding some HPs to see what it likes.

[​IMG]