Springfield Arms Magazine?

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by ozwald, Feb 28, 2012.

1. ozwald

ozwald New Member

Hello all. I found this piece of steel on an abandoned Air Force Bombing range in southern Arizona in proximity to many pieces of exploded ordinance (schrapnel). It would appears to be some kind of snap-in magazine but I have not seen anything like it before. It is approx. 2" long x 1" wide x 1.75" tall. It is stamped SA on the bottom inside 2 full circles with radiating partial circles out toward the edge. It has a raised button and a squared detent on either side. It is slightly tapered from bottom to top. Can anyone help with an ID on this. Thanks Oz:dontknow:

Attached Files:

2. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

Ozwald - that isn't a 'magazine' - it is an 8 round en-block clip for an M1 Garand rifle. They can be found for .50 cents to a dollar each. Neat little souvineer from that bombing range.
  3. ozwald

ozwald New Member

Hey Jim. Thanks for your reply. I am assuming that you meant end block clip? I am thinking that they used to have some fun at the Sahuarita Bombing range which is practically in my back yard. Cheers Oz:)
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  5. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

Thanks Alpo - I like hyphens and furry little animals.

There have been at least 10 different times since the first of the year where I've heard stories about the 'Deadly defect' (the ping from an ejected empty M1 cliup). I think even on Top Shot Jeff or who ever the host is - mentioned it at length.

I never used a Garand in combat. We had M-16s and M-14s when it was my time, and my weapon was an M-60. Get a few guys firing and it gets really noisy. Kind of doubt if anyone could hear an empty clip ping at 75 yards, and if they did, I doubt they would know which squad member was reloading. Don't think I'd want to be the joker who jumps up and races a guy stuffing a fresh clip into an M1........
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2012