Springfield Loaded barrel/bushing?

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by zebulonsmith, Oct 16, 2006.

1. zebulonsmith

zebulonsmith New Member

I bid thee gentlemen to spew forth with your combined expertise...

I've got a Springfield 1911 "Loaded" model that I suspect is from around the late 80's to early 90's. The only change I've made so far is to switch from the solid black Novaks to three dot jobbies. (Heck of a difference that made. It's darn hard to shoot a black bullseye from a black gun with black sights.)

I'm thinking about getting into competetive shooting and kicking around the idea of putting a few bucks in the gun to tighten up my groups. Any experience on how much I can improve things by adding a match bushing and/or barrel?

I've only put about 50 rnds though it since changing the sights and I can pretty reliably put all 7 in a 2" bullseye from the 25' mark at the local range offhand and haven't tried it much from a rest. I don't want to do anything extreme here as I keep this one beside the bed at night in case anything comes crashing through my front door.
  2. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Their are plenty of barrels around to make it a little more accurate and offer a porting for recoil
    Also a good trigger job will make it shoot a heck of a lot better
  3. zebulonsmith

zebulonsmith New Member

I'm thinking I'll spend some more time with it as it is first, then go monkeying with things. Anybody know what the size of an average group from a match 1911 is?
  4. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

Might check w/ the local competitors on the gun type. Porting the barrel might put you at a disadvantage for class/division in Competition. Also ports would be bad if you had to use the gun @ night for protection.
    So Shooter is right, a good trigger job makes a whole lot of difference in grouping. Most Bullseye is done @ 25 yards. 2-3" groups would be pretty good from offhand, I think.:)
  5. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

The Springfield "loaded" model is a good ,tight, accurate 1911 out of the box. The "lawyer proof" trigger needs to be worked to be able to get tighter groups. So, a trigger job needs to be done.

Most of the barrel bushings on the "loaded" pistols are tightly fitted.

If you replace the barrel, I'd recommend a Kart NM barrel. Properly fitted, of course.

Have a good gunsmith perform a trigger job and with practice, your groups will improve.