Springfield M-1 Garand

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by CountryGunsmith, Mar 3, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

(1/17/03 9:28:24 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All My M1 Garand
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi all. This is way too cool, a forum where you all want to help me determine what I got and what it's worth. Well here it goes.

Springfiled Garand
    Ser # 259XXXX
    Barrel - SA 2 44 with stampe 8 and P
    Receiver - D2829132 with a stamped 062C a B and something that looks like a tulip.
    Op Rod - D85382 SA
    Bolt - 65282A7-SA-A15
    Trigger Housing - D28290-12-SA
    Hammer - SA 11
    Trigger - S 83 cast not stamped
    Bottom of bayo lug - 8
    Stock - No cartouches. Stampe 60 and a 5 9 under butt plate.

That's the numbers I could find with a field stripping. How original is this one and a value???

Thanks for any help you can give. Great bulletin board!

P.S Almost forgot, here are a couple of pics if it helps.

Things of quality have no fear of time.

Edited by: mustang7513 at: 1/17/03 9:30:20 pm

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/17/03 10:08:00 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    Re: My M1 Garand
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, the barrel is right with the receiver. Are you sure about the op-rod number? Bolt is a later replacement, as is the stock.

Seems to be OK at first glance, should bring around $700.

I suggest obtaining either Canfield's or Duff's reference on Garands (or both). Great sources.

mustang7513
    (1/17/03 10:56:24 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: My M1 Garand
    You are correct on the op rod, the 8 should be a 3. Op rod is D35382 SA. Does that make a difference in you opinion?

I plan on getting the Canfield Garand and Carbine combo book. Big gun show comming up next weekend and was going to see about finding one there. Want to support the gun show vendors when I can, if not, then off to the book store.

Thanks for you help!
    Things of quality have no fear of time.

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/18/03 6:54:21 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    Re: My M1 Garand
    Now the op rod makes sense. I believe it is correct also.