Springfield M1A

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Lerenis, Jul 8, 2005.

1. Lerenis

Lerenis New Member

I'm by no means anywhere close to being knowledgeable when it comes to firearms but here go's nothing. In short, I inherited some and am wondering what the history is on them. Age, value, good to have, junk, etc... The Springfield Armory M1A has a serial number of 16,100. Stamped on the side is a 1 of 100. The barrel is stamped Winchester so I guess the barrells were done elsewhere. It has a walnut stock with two upper hand guards. One a matching walnut, the other a brown plastic one. It has a metal flip-up plate on the bottom that has a cleaning kit in it. I has a leather pad on the stock, looks like a rest of some sort and a leather sling. The stock also has some sort of hole in it where something must have been, where it meets the receiver. The end of the barrell has a flash hider of some sort with metal knub sticking out below it. It looks brand new and was well oiled. It came with six , 20 round magazines with only an "OM" stamped on them. The stock has a "P" with a circle around it near the trigger. There are some numbers stamped on the part that rams the bullet into the barrell: 7790186, below that is; HRT A18, below that is; BSU. There is also a hand etched number, it looks like it was done when it was made; 9583. Overall the rifle is very nice to look at and was cared for very well, not a blemish on it. I can't find anything else on it to describe. Thanks and I look forward to hanging around to learn things from you pro's.
  2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Does this "hole" have a round metal plug with two drilled holes for a spanner wrench? Need the answer to this to continue. Thanks
  3. Lerenis

Lerenis New Member

No, it does have that plug with the two holes but I thought that was there to hold the clip assembly in the stock. I was referring to the gap at the top of the stock near the receiver. It looks like something might have been there at one time but was removed. I just don't know if it was bought like that or that a piece is missing or just eliminated. Thanks again TFF!! I have other firearms to get through but thought I would do it one at a time. That way I don't confuse everything up.
  4. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

We really need to see pictures of this one. Except for the 1 of 100 stamped on the rifle, what I think you are describing is a M-14 receiver. Tell me exactly where this is stamped and also tell me exactly what is written on the receiver on top in back of the rear sight.
  5. Lerenis

Lerenis New Member

Hello TFF,

On top behind the sight it is stamped:
    U.S.Rifle
    7.62-mm M1A
    Springfield
    Armory
    Serial Number is here

On the right side of the above information on the receiver is is stamped 1 of 100, just to the right of that it looks like something must have been there but was drilled or machined out, then was plugged up. Just below, on the stock is a recessed ledge just before a "U" shaped hole. I can put my finger into it and can see the trigger parts. It doesn't say M-14 anywhere. The only other marking is on the leather chin rest itself and that is only marked "MRT". I really don't think this is something rare, I was only thinking that it looks like it might have had another part to it at one time since the stock looks like it was made to accommodate an additional part. Thanks again! Later, Mike
  6. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Okay, been through all the books. I have nothing about any Springfield marked 1 of 100. The 'plastic' handguard is actually fiberglass. The leather piece on the stock is a cheek rest. If it is in the condition you state, I would guess that it may be a piece parts gun and even in that state would bring $800 to $1,000, if you find the right buyer. Maybe someone else can chime in here and take up where I left off. I believe the piece marked HRT is a part made by Harrington and Richardson.

The only model that really was a commemorative made by Springfield was the "White Feather" issue in tribute to Carlos Hathcock, a VietNam Marine sniper. He was the best. However, there is no mention of the peice being numbered and it was a 'super national match" model with a Kreiger heavy barrel, which yours is not.

Hopefully someone else will come along and be able to guide you further.

IPT
  7. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

I would imagine if this cut out is on top of the stock where it mates to the receiver, this would be where the original selector switch was located. This could be one of two things. A parts gun as mentioned above and if done well, still has some value. Or a torched receiver that was rebuilt and the quality of these varies greatly. Done well, nice, done poorly, POS.

If the receiver (where the cutout is located) has a plugged hole (welded) this could be a problem. Let me know.

LTS
  8. Lerenis

Lerenis New Member

Thank you guys for all the feedback on the M1A, at least that is a starting point for me to work with which I nothing before. Thanks a ton!
  9. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Mmmm-k

I feel like someone stole a half read book from me... :rolleyes:
  10. M1AShooter

M1AShooter New Member

Hi
    In 1982 Springfield Armory offered the 1 of 100 made rifles, they took every 100 number ser#( starting with 100,200,300and so on) and held the recievers till they had the 100 one and then offer them for sale @ $849.00.
    If you could find one now it would be About $1,800 to $2,100 .
  11. Lerenis

Lerenis New Member

M1A Shooter,

Thanks for the information on the unusual stamping of the receiver. I was wondering because even SA has no documentation any were stamped this way. They checked, but since the rifle was built before they kept computerized records, the paper trail is rather difficult to trace.

I talked to Lee Emerson (M1A Guru/Different) about it and he said he had only seen one example of a 100 series gun. It numbered in the 4000's. He mentioned SA does have documentation on 1000 series guns and their different look, but the 100 series stamped rifles are hard to find information on. The total run on these specific stamps must have been short and any other information is difficult to find.

The only other unusual tidbit was that the rifle came from the factory with a walnut upper handguard in place with the fiberglass one wrapped up nice inside the box. The receipt for the gun, back in the day, was only $700.

Ler
  12. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

The hole you are talking about on the stock IS the hole where the selector switch would be if it were an M-14. It is funny because I was just looking at mine before I read this thread. I just put an original walnut M-14 stock from Freds stocks on my M1A rifle.

The original M14s had a brown plastic (or fiberglass) upper hand guard. There were the original hand guards which were solid or the later ones that had slots in it. I would venture to say that the wood hand guard came with the M1A and the plastic one came with the replacement stock which is probably on the rifle.

As one who carried the M-14 while in my early Army service, as soon as I bought my M1A, I started looking for a replacement stock because I did not like the fiberglass one on it.

I recently bought my rifle and gave something like $1200.
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  13. Lerenis

Lerenis New Member

I agree with you on the walnut upper hand guard. It gives the whole rifle a better look and doesn't affect performance that I can notice.