Springfield M1A

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Tony Mig, Aug 27, 2003.

1. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

If things work out as I'm hoping they do, I may have the oppertunity (and financial power) to acquire a new Springfield M1A.
    I've seen them listed in Shotgun News...walnut stock, and loaded, for $1,349.00 to $1,499.00. Of course final cost would be more after shipping, sales tax, background check and transfer fees.

I'll be shopping around and making a few phone calls to see if anybody around here has any, and in the mean time I've got my fingers crossed that things work out so I can actually get this rifle....cause it'll probably be the only rifle I'll be able to get for a long time to come.......

I'd like to hear some feedback from any others who have, had, or just got the chance to shoot one of these rifles........
  2. warpig

warpig Guest

I have one.

It is a pre-ban I got off internet auction and got what I feel is a great deal on. It was $1100 and came with a Springfield scope mount, leather cheek pad, sling and four magazines 2 of which were in the wrapper. It is in as new condition.

It is a great shooter and I like it quite a bit.

I have not sat down and shot groups for accuracy yet but have been happy with it at 400 yards and open sights on praire dogs.
  3. the major

the major New Member

m1a

I got my M1A several years ago. I have been shooting M-14s since 1964, and really like 'em. My M1A is a standard model with synthetic stock and NM sights. With My reloads of Remington 150 gr bullets and Varget powder in Remington cases, I get 1.5 inch groups at 100 off a bench. After about 1,000 rounds down range, no problems to report. No better range and battle rifle in my humble opion!!
  4. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

Well I made some phone calls and located two of them with in range.
    A shop in Vineland, NJ has the Loaded Model #MA9222, and they want $1,495.00.
    A shop in Glassboro, NJ has one that I looked at about a month ago, it's used, but never been fired...(long story)....it's the Loaded Model #MA9826, which is the stainless steel N/M barrel, sights and trigger, composite stock, plus it comes with a scope, for $1,295.00.

I think I'd preffer one with a walnut stock, but I may have to settle for the used one with the composite stock to help keep costs down a tad. I can always save up for a walnut stock down the road.

I can't quite count on this money coming through as yet, and even if it does, my wife may still put the brakes on this, but I think I've got her convinced to let me go with it, and just count it as my Christmas gift....for the next 100 years......

I'll let you guys know what happens.......
  5. the major

the major New Member

m1a

Good luck Tony, you'll really like it. You can get a Walnut stock from FREDSSTOCKS.COM from about $15, so don't let that stop you!
  6. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Yep! Good Luck Tony...I've had the Pre- and the Post- ban. Don't have one at the moment, but will again i imagine. They're nice rifles and good shooters...;)
  7. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

The Check is in the Mail....

I looks like I'll be going for the unfired used one with the S/S barrel and composite stock. I probably won't see the money for another week or two...(possibly 3)...so I just hope it doesn't sell before then......

Of course if it does sell, there's always the new one with the blued barrel and walnut stock at the other gun shop....;)

It's the waiting that kills me....when I set my mind to wanting something, I want it NOW! :D