1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Springfield mil spec

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by E-Rez, Oct 3, 2009.

1. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Everyone allways wants to get an "entry level" 1911... and later they wish they would have held out for an upgraded one.

Hold out and get a Springfield. That is my advice.

mike
    gn
  2. Goneracin

Goneracin New Member

i wanted a base line 1911, but i heard nothing but good about the springfield. so i picked up my first handgun, a springfield G.I. for $600 out the door. I have no complaints about the gun, great shooter, and even with the weight, i carry it daily with no complaints about the weight, or size.

i have noticed a few dents on the casings, and i plan to have the port lowered soon. the sights dont bother me for the range, but im thinking of a new set, maybe with a fiber optic front. I polished the feed ramp, barrel, and slide rails myself, and it is good old reliable. I have 0 complaints about the gun. best 600 i ever spent, very happy.
  3. E-Rez

E-Rez New Member

Hey, thanks for the info goneracin. A $600 1911 that's reliable and straight shooting...can't beat that! Good project gun too.
  4. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

Shooter45 . :D it did my heart good to see someone besides myself still uses anti-skid tape on the front strap of their pistols. you must be a "old guy " too
  5. parputt

parputt New Member

I bought a Mil-Spec as my first 1911 .45. Loved it at first then started to have a few problems. First the front sight came loose, then the plunger tube popped off. Sent it off to SA and they did a great job on the fixes with a quick turn around. Around 2700 rounds the lower lugs sheared off the barrel. Currently back at SA for a new barrel.

I really do not trust this gun anymore.
  6. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

The ugly? A Springfield product made in Brazil thats FUGLY!
  7. Goneracin

Goneracin New Member

wow, i never heard of bad things like that with a SA, but i supose there could be a bad egg or 2. atleast SA took care of the problems. No issues with mine yet, but i havent put that many rounds through her yet
  8. rmeron

rmeron New Member

What do you mean a brick,with a good gunbelt and holster it's very comfortable. I carry mine 8-12 hrs a day.
  9. rmeron

rmeron New Member

I guess I'm old school,I DO NOT like beavertails, the ambi safety adjustable sights,don't need lowered ejection ports for a carry gun.All I need is dependability and that's what I have in my Springfield GI basic.
  10. kcin75

kcin75 New Member

It depends on the size....a few of my buddys have full size and shoot the hell of out them with no trouble.....how ever, I on the other hand have a 4" compact with a 6rd frame NOTHING BUT TROUBLE! jams like clock work on the last round. See my post:Springfield 1911 4" campact 6rd fame feeding issue
  11. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Change the recoil spring and buy a Wilson Combat mag and that should solve the problem.