The Firearms Forum banner

Springfield model 15 Refinishing

4K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  mr.t7024 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi what follows is my attempt at giving my old .22 single shot a new look. I'll add more pics as I keep going to keep you guys updated. If anyone has any suggestions on the subject of refinishing stocks or bluing feel free the comment. I'm very new to this and I know I could always use some help.

This shows the rifle before I did anything to it.

An up close of the stock to show the wood grain and some small damage done by years of use.

This shows rusting on the barrel and the tarnished bolt.
(I would like to learn to jewel gun bolts if any one could inform me of any literature on the process it would be greatly appreciated)

Everything is pulled apart and ready for stripping

Barrel and stock are striped and ready for bluing and staining

The stock with a Red Mohogany stain applied (I know its blotchey I can't make it any lighter those are the areas of major handling and usage the stain just soaks in darker there and i have no Idea on how to fix that also sorry about the blurry pictures here and on the barrel my camera hates the dark and apparently the lights in my work shop)

The newley blued barrel and polished bolt. (Again sorry about the blur I'll try to get better pictures)

Alright thats all I've got for now. I'm currently ordering a new firing pin and extractor for the rifle and I'm also applying truoil to the stock as I post now. I'll Post the finals in a few days.

See less See more
#3 ·
Some of those old .22 single shots are great candidates for refinishing. I personally like a good hand rubbed oil finish on those stocks. I don't like a glossy finish - especially not on older rifles.

Just a question on that Remington Model 15 of yours - is the cocking knob really tough to pull back? I had one many years ago that I gave my son, and it took a lot of effort to cock. I was led to believe at the time that was a safety feature to prevent youngsters from being able to ready the rifle without an adult to do it for them. Maybe wrong - just what I heard at that time.

#4 ·
The Springfield Model 15 is , I believe a variant of the Stevens/Savage Model 15. And yes the cocking knob is hard to pull back. Once you master the heavy hammer fall ( or rather bolt fall ) they are very accurate little guns. Capable of minute of squirrel head at 50 yards or a walnut hanging from a Black Walnut tree.:)

#7 ·
This product would have made the stain more uniform and even. I resisted using it for years on birch stocks but it really works well and worth the $ and time.

#9 ·
In 1974 when my daughter was 7 yrs. old I bought one of those Savage M15 for $15and remodeled it for her. I left the stock LOP the same but cut off the forend and put on a dark rosewood tip, oil finished it with Tru oil, shortened the barrel, put on a small grooved scope mt. and a 2X scope. It looked neat and she shot a lot of squirrels with it. It wasn't hard to cock. Yrs. later we gave it to a friends son for Christmas. I think his son has it now. Very simple but tough little rifles. Hank

#11 ·
Good job.I am not a gunsmith by any means but I lliked to buy .22's and refurbish/repair them.I always seemed to give them away though.Your bluing really came out good.What did you use?On a couple of mine I should have sent it out to be reblued.I will if I do another.Looks good! Joe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.