Springfield model 1833 musket

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by TGN_LOKI, Jan 28, 2009.

1. TGN_LOKI

TGN_LOKI New Member

I demolish old, abandoned, and burnt up house in the city of Detroit, for a living.
    recently while confirming the burnt up house was vacant I found a rifle in the rafters of the basement.
    After looking the gun over i found it to be a Springfield model 1833 smooth bore converted percussion cap musket. It has no burn marks or anything but is real dirty and has differently been neglected in the past. But it is in working order. I looked on the internet for an equal, when i came across this
    http://www.antiquearmsinc.com/springfield-model-1816-1795-1842-civil-war.htm
    When you look at the photos the gun was clearly cleaned (or should i say ruined) by someone who shouldn't have touched it int the first place.
    I was wondering if you might be able to put me in touch with someone who would know the proper way to restore it with out ruining it?
    thank you for any help you can give.
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  2. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

You might try wiping it down with some kerosene on a soft cloth, to get the dirt and grime off. With old original arms like yours. usually less is more. The metal parts are brown, and so rust should not have bothered them much as they are already "rusted". Kerosene and a soft rag may remove alot of the grime that has accumulated, but stay away from paint thinners or other harsh sovents. Really all you want to do is clean it up a bit. Post some pics if you can, and perhaps some one more knowlaggable than I will come along and help you with our quest. Souds like quite a find. Best regards Kirk
  3. TGN_LOKI

TGN_LOKI New Member

Thank you I will run out and get some right now