The Firearms Forum banner

Springfield Model 1903

3K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  jim brady 
#1 ·
Springfield Model 1903 .30 caliber Rifle:
Low Number Series--How many verified incidents of the receivers blowing up using standard ammo ?

#2 ·
Low number usually referes to serial number 800,000 and lower for rifles made at Springfield Armory and at serial number 285,507 at Rock Island Arsenal.

One article i read reported the army had 'reported' no deaths attribuited to improper heat treatment / damaged recievers.

#6 ·
Just over 20 in the US Military. The results of these accidents was serious injury to the shooter. The problem is, the receiver ring is paper thin. If a cartridge splits near the base, it blows off the ring.

#7 ·
Beg to differ, SA. The problem with the 'blow-up' in the 1903 Springfield was the single heat treatment of the steel. The receivers were brittle. When Springfield and Rock Island began proper heat treating, they did not alter the receiver dimensions.

When production of the 1903s began, the process in preparing the receivers was the same as it had been for the Krag rifles and the earlier Springfield Trapdoors. That was fine for the older, lower pressure rounds, but the new .30 caliber round was much higher in pressure. Some of the pre-1918 1903s were re-heat treated in an attempt to salvage them, but that process was doubtful in effect. It is generally accepted that it is unsafe to fire the low numbered 1903s. I personally know men who have fired these and have not had an issue (yet). To my mind that is a little like playing 'Russian Roulette'.

The reference above to 'the receiver shattering when a new barrel is installed' - I've never heard of this about a 1903. The incidents of this refer to the U.S. M1917 Enfield, and the majority of these were with the Eddystone receivers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.