Springfield Model 1903

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by rdbjr57, Jun 22, 2011.

1. rdbjr57

rdbjr57 New Member

Greetings to the group!

I acquired a Springfield Model 1903 last night and am curious about it's worth and some of it's markings. I've had a Garand for a while and am pretty familiar with them but I am brand new to the 1903 world.

Serial number is 6978XX

Marking on the barrel just shy of the front sight is "AV" above an ordinance-bomb looking symbol with "12-18" below that.

If I am correct from my web surfing last night, this is called a "Sporter" version. (although not an NRA Sporter, again, if I read correctly last night.)

I guess I'm limited to uploading 4 photos at a time, so I've added four:
    (1) The whole rifle
    (2) The bottom of the bolt with markings visible
    (3) A "bullet test" with a 30-06 round
    (4) The left side

The three holes on the left side all seem to be tapped (threaded). Any ideas what they are for? There is one on the right side. I'm assuming one or more of them are "Hatcher" holes to release gasses?

It looks like it was tapped for a scope at one point. There are two holes under the rear sight (not a flip up sight).

Any insight that can be provided would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

rdbjr57

Attached Files:

2. rdbjr57

rdbjr57 New Member

A few more photos of the 1903...

Attached Files:

3. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

rdbjr57,
    Welcome!
    What you have is a "SPORTERIZED" U.S. military Springfield Armory rifle. The stock has been cut down, the holes in the right side of the receiver were drilled for some type of sight mount (probably an optical scope). The serial number indicates it is within the "single heat treated" receiver range (<800,000) and may or may not have a brittle receiver. With all the stuff done to it, it is not restorable to military configuration - it has only limited value as a "shooter" of questionable strength (depending upon whether you or another purchaser subscribes to the "brittle receiver" designation.) RETAIL value in the present condition - less than $275. Let's see what some of the other resident '03 afficianados have to say.
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Also, it has a replacement barrel (Avis) from which the rear sight fixed base has been removed, a dovetail cut, and a cheap rear sight from some other rifle installed. the trigger guard and floorplate appear to be from an M1903A3. The front sight has been destroyed, apparently to make it conform to the sight picture of the rear sight.

In other words, the rifle is not even a well done sporter. It has been worked over by one or more basement gunsmiths and is essentially worthless. Because of the "low number" I can't even recommend it as a shooter. The bolt is also of the old single heat treat type, and should not be trusted.

I think Jim's $275 estimate is generous. IMHO, its only value is for the parts that have survived. The barrel might be OK (a correct sight base would cover the dovetail) if it will headspace up on another gun, and some bolt parts might be OK.

I hope you didn't pay too much for it.

Jim
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2011