Springfield Musket

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by hosman321, Sep 24, 2010.

1. hosman321

hosman321 New Member

I'm sorry I didn't add more pictures, life got a little crazy and I've been so busy. I'm going to add some more detailed ones in a few hours, just waiting for the camera battery to charge up. Thank you so much for all the suggestions and knowledge. I'm very curious to know the age of this weapon and possibly the history. I'd be disappointed if it were pieced together around the turn of the century. Then it would just be a hodge-podge of old parts. We paid quite a bit ($500) so I hope it's not just a bunch of parts stuck together or a parade weapon.
  2. hosman321

hosman321 New Member

Ok, I have no idea what I'm supposed to look for or take pictures of so here's some random pics. Can take more if needed. I don't know if it's on the stands incorrectly, I just got them today. If it's not supposed to rest on the trigger guard, I will move it. ;)

The picture of the cleaner Springfield is a picture someone posted on my antiques forum. I can very faintly see the same "V" marking on my barrel in the same spot. I can't see the other two markings but it's very pitted and dirty so they may be there. Where the date is shown on the cleaner weapon, mine does not have a date there.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  3. hosman321

hosman321 New Member

More...

Attached Files:

4. hosman321

hosman321 New Member

Last...

Attached Files:

5. hosman321

hosman321 New Member

One last pic. I absolutely cannot find a ruler or measuring tape anywhere. But will a dime be able to tell you if it's a 69 or 72? A dime fits absolutely perfectly inside the barrel. A nickel is the exact same diameter as the outside of the barrel. If that makes sense. If this doesn't help, I can find another way to measure. :)

Attached Files:

• dime.JPG
      dime.JPG
      File size:
      22.5 KB
      Views:
  6. hosman321

hosman321 New Member

I've never known my family history. I've always wondered if I had any ancestors that served in the civil war or revolutionary war. Turns out my great great grandfather did! And possibly my great (x4) grandfather in the revolution. A very nice lady on my antiques forum did the research, now I know where to start!

Name: James Dawson
    Residence: North Liberty, Iowa
    Age at enlistment: 42
    Enlistment Date: 20 Sep 1862
    Rank at enlistment: 3rd Sergt
    State Served: Iowa
    Survived the War?: Yes
    Service Record: Enlisted in Company I, Iowa 6th Cavalry Regiment on 02 Feb 1863.
    Promoted to Full 2nd Sergeant on 01 May 1865.
    Mustered out on 17 Oct 1865 at Sioux City, IA.
    Promoted to Full 1st Sergeant on 11 May 1865.
    Birth Date: abt 1820
    Sources: Roster & Record of Iowa Soldiers in the War of Rebellion
  7. hosman321

hosman321 New Member

Just thought I'd update and let you all know what I think. After many more hours of searching through pictures and doing research, I've come to the conclusion that this musket really is just a model 1842. I based this on the minute details I see over and over on other model 1842's online. The other springfield models have both significant and small differences that I can cleary see now that I really pay attention. Wikipedia also states that sights were added later (after being rifled). Which is exactly what appears to have happened to my musket. The brass sight on the front iron piece and the rear sight both appear to have been added later. Just thought I'd let you know, it's been a great learning experience!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model_1842_Musket
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  8. rybur

rybur New Member

Could my Model 1816 type III conversion be one of those? It's got "-ILLBURY/1835", "US/A WATERS", and "US" on the butt plate tang. The area around the nipple is the most damaged part of the whole rifle; with pitting on the metal parts, cavities in the stock, and a few scratches. I believe someone put shellac on this as it was hung in a bar for a few years. It's been in the family but we have no story for it. I thought it resembled a few "Confederate Conversion" examples online, but wondered what you guys thought.

Attached Files: