Springfield shotgun

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by phulklip, Mar 10, 2009.

1. phulklip

phulklip New Member

12 ga, 28 inch double barrel
    markings on side of receiver:
    Springfield Arms Company Chicopee Falls Mass USA
    bottom of receiver has an "I"
    barrel markings "proof tested 12 ga"
    gun appears to have been reblued and is approx 85%
    stock shows normal wear and tear, scratches and a few dings
    serial #T48356
    Please advise date of mfg and approx value.
    Thank you for your time
    Paul

Attached Files:

2. PetahW

PetahW New Member

"Springfield" was a house brand of Savage/Stevens, for their inexpensive lines of firearms, and those sold in bulk to some chain outlets.

What you have looks like a version of the economy Stevens 311.

They are always valued as shooters.

Savage/Stevens guns may have a date code on the underside of the barrel, that has nothing to do with the serial number.
    Look for a circled letter, usually placed between the forend stud and the barrel hook.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  3. phulklip

phulklip New Member

Thank you PetahW for the prompt reply.
    The letter I in a circle appears on the underside at the hinge point
  4. Anchor Clanker

Anchor Clanker New Member

Sorry but there is no published serial number/year made tables for Stevens,Springfield or Riverside (the other name Stevens used). However there is a source for the information. You can write Older Stevens Historical Research, Mr. John Callahan, 53 Old Quarry Road, Westfield,MA 01085. Be advised that there is a $15.00 research fee per gun. If you do write be sure to give all the information you have given.
    Also there are no values listed for Springfield shotguns but there are for Stevens guns.
    The values given for a Stevens Model 311 are:
    100%-$245, 98%-$205, 95%-$185, 90%-$150, 80%-$140, 70%-$125, 60%-$110.
    A Springfield shotgun will run about 10 to 15 percent less and one that has been refinished will run a little less than this.
  5. phulklip

phulklip New Member

Thank you Anchor Clanker for your time in providing this detailed information

Paul
  6. PetahW

PetahW New Member

[ there is no published serial number/year made tables for Stevens,Springfield or Riverside (the other name Stevens used).]

They used the same codes as Savage, since it is the same company - They ARE Savages, just by another name.
    A rose is a rose is a rose.

A thru X, from 1949 thru 1970.

"I" = 1957

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  7. marlee

marlee New Member

this 12 ga looks just like the picture, no serial # , but its dated april 20, 1915 and reads Springfield Arms Co. Mass. USA. UNDER THE FRONT OF BARREL/STOCK , IT LOOKS LIKE A VERY SMALL LETTER 12 , INSIDE A CIRCLE. I THINK ITS A STEVENS. JOHNSON TOOK OVER IN JUNE, I THINK? CAN ANYONE TELL ME MORE ? $ THANKS; MARLEE
  8. RJay

RJay Active Member

The 1915 is a patent date, it has nothing to do with the manufacture date of the shotgun. Patents can run up 37 years before they expire. The information above would also be suitable for your shotgun. The date code was only used after 1949.
  9. marlee

marlee New Member

10. marlee

marlee New Member

11. marlee

marlee New Member

12. marlee

marlee New Member