Springfield XD Compact 45 ACP

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Terry_P, Apr 5, 2008.

1. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

Many interesting posts in the thread comparing the Glock to the XD that peaked my interest in an XD. I have a 1911 but would really like a polymer in 45 ACP. My question is on grip size (the obvious answer is to go to the store and hold one) how does the XD Compact compare to a 1911 grip or P-series Ruger?

Also the finish is Melonite on the slide and I have no clue what that is? I prefer stainless for corrosion resistance how does the Melonite stack up.

Lastly it looks like from their web site that they are American made.
  2. oldredneck

oldredneck New Member

You owe it to yourself to pick one up and hold it in your hand for a few minutes. I have the XD40 and I loved it the moment I picked it up. I have small hands and I've never had a pistol fit my hands any better than the XD.
  3. tdyoung58

tdyoung58 New Member

They are like neither,

I have a XD 45 compact Tactical and a XD 9 Tactical. I love them both, they always work, rarely a problem with either. Unless you are wanting to CC with one I'd stay away from a compact version.

I choose a XD over a Glock because it felt better in my hand, you need to go hold them for yourself, choose the one that feels best to you, in your hand.

SA imports XD'x from Croatia

They make stainless slides for XD's, I've had no problem with the Melonite finish on any of my XD's, currently have two, had a third older service, but sold it to buy a new 9mm
  4. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

What is the problem with the compact version? Recoil, accuracy? I have a CCL and might like to try to carry or it might just find a place in the nightstand. My carry piece is an SP101 in 357 mag and I like the revolver. Do you use handloads? Lead loads?
  5. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

The compacts are just tougher for range use, but frankly I think all the XD's I shot were compacts and they are just fine as long as you have the extended magazine. Without the extended magazine my pinky wraps under the grip which would be fine for a defense scenario, not so at the range, just plain uncomfortable.

XD's are great, try and rent one though. I shot my dad's Glock 22 for... what... since I was 13, picked up an XD and shot it better right off the bat. To each his own, for many it's the XD, for other's it's not.

Oh and they aren't technically made in America, but it's like a Ford or Chevrolet, sure they aren't made here, but your getting almost as close as you can get, your buying from an American company. Some people think that doesn't matter, other's like that idea.

Disclaimer: I never shot an XD in .45, I know I shot the compact/sub-compact 9mm, and I swear I shot it in .40 too. I ended up buying an H&K USP compact but still plan on buying an XD someday, they are great guns.
  6. tdyoung58

tdyoung58 New Member

Nothing wrong with it, as far as recoil or accuracy. I have a compact and regular XD, (both 5") a compact version is just easier to conceal if your intending to, for a range gun I'd choose a full size grip version instead of the compact, having both compact and full size versions, I needed to get a pearce grip extension for the compact (for use witht the 10 round magazine only) to make it 'feel' right for me. I don't carry my XD's, I have a Ruger KP345 I use for that.
  7. dgray64

dgray64 New Member

I totally agree! I traded my Glock G22 .40 cal for an XD40 as the Glock didn't fit my hand, now matter what I did to change my grip. The XD was comfortable and accurate right ouf of the box!!

Dave :)
  8. patrol

patrol New Member

Springfield is american made but the XD's are from Croatia. They may make them in the US now but the used to be made in croatia and sent to Springfield. Either way, they are excellent pistols. I have two and love them both.
    Melonite is an "okay" finish, Glock has them all beat with the use of a Tennifer finish but you can remedy that by getting the stainless slide for a little more money and it's worth it.
    The grips are thin for a hicap double stack no doubt and even my 5inch tactical carries well in IWB Holster as far as not printing and i can imagine the new compact 45 would be perfect for that type of carry and you get the extended mag so you can have the full 14 rounds of 45acp if you like.
    The subcompact shoots just as good for me as the standard models they are like the sub glocks only have thinner feeling grips and dont come in 45acp.
    For some reason my 5inch Tactical model 45acp I bought new for about 460bucks shoots as well as any high dollar custom 1911 I own and it's freakin 14 rounds of 45acp!