Springfield XD40, thoughts?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Goneracin, Aug 21, 2010.

1. patrol

patrol New Member

Someone in here mentioned the Smith M&P 40sw. That was what won our t/e for our department shoot off to see which firearm we were going to, it got down to the XD, the G22 and the M&P all 40sw caliber. The smith won because of the ability to change out backstrap grips completely which dealth with our issue of smaller handed and larger handed individuals not to mention their customer service with L.E. is second to none and ofcourse the life time guarantee did not hurt. The price of all three were all in the same range lower $400 to $470 price range but the only reason the XD did not win because though everyone loved to shoot it the best of the three the three models they brought had feeding issue's which possibly could have been the magazines. The Springfield guy messed up by bringing unreliable guns to a L.E. Department test and eval, moron. The fact that all the instructors myself included owned XD's in one form or another shows the confidence we have in their products, even more so with their newer enhanced models and thier tactical 45acp is the bees knees of firearms the thing is a true gem both to shoot and awesome ergonomics regardless of size the frames on the XDls have a portly muzzle atleast the standard sizes but the slides set further back on your wrist joint so felt recoil in my opinion is less than the Glocks and equal to the M&P which has the same feature and awesome ergonomics as well. Though the Glock standard trigger is lighter by a pound than either the M&P or the XD in my opinion there is a smoother feel on the finger pad as you squeeze it. IMHO get the XD if you can for the price he claimed.
  2. Goneracin

Goneracin New Member

Interesting info patrol, thanks. im hoping the mags it comes with are of good quality, only one way to find out. shoot the **** out of it. thanks
  3. K75RT

K75RT Member

Go for the XD I've got 2, the S&W M&P has problems, google it.
  4. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

k75rt, you could google ANY gun and get negative reviews. Good example is the high point. Some people SWEAR by them and others wouldnt own one if you gave it to them. I would ask to shoot the gun before doing the purchase and draw your own conclusion..........
  5. Airdale

Airdale Member

I own an XDSC in 9mm and it's been absolutely reliable. It's accurate and easy to conceal. I am sure you'll be a happy camper when and if you get it.
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Springfield EMP is your friend then. But its gonna cost a little more than 3 bills. save up and get the gun that fits you best. Start by turning the 325 you will pay your buddy into the 450 you could easily get for the XD...
  7. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I'm not a huge fan of safe-action triggers, but it sounds like a great deal to me.
  8. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

The Springfield EMP, Kimber Pro Carry, Colt Commander, Colt Defender, Colt Officer's ACP... These are all good 1911s for carrying. They are going to cost you more than the XD though. But if you ask me, a 1911 is a good gun.

If you don't wanna spend a fortune, maybe look at Citadel and Rock Island 1911s.
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  9. kingcuke

kingcuke Member

I have an XD40, and like the way it feels and shoots. Kind of surprised that a lot of people don't like the feel. Personally I think it's great, very ergonomic, fun and easy to shoot and much lighter than a BHP but a very similar feel.
    For the price I'd say go for it.
  10. Goneracin

Goneracin New Member

thanks for the input, I WILL get it, its just a matter of waiting for the funds to come in. at least i could sell it for what I paid, if not more. And yes hogger129, the 1911 is a great gun. thats why my first gun purchase wasmy springfield GI 1911. I love it and will never get rid of it. As far as I am concerned the true original full size 1911 is hte best gun out there. no other gun can match its military record, out of the box accuracy, history, built by one of the best gun makers ever, reliable, simple, and everyone knows about them. there is much more, but you all know what im talking about. I think everyone should own atleast 1 1911. So I have mine, now i need something that is easier to carry when im dressed in light clothing or just dont want the weight of old reliable. Some day im sure i will get a nice compact 1911, but i just dont 100% concider those to be a true 1911.

thanks for the advice, keep it coming. I hope to get a range report up soon.
  11. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

The smiths for some reason to me recoil less in 40-its like shooting a .38. I like both,hope you got it for 325.