Square Deal

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by The Duke, Oct 21, 2011.

1. The Duke

The Duke New Member

New addition to the bench...

[​IMG]

The tool came factory adjusted for .45C and only needed a little tweaking for my bullet depth and crimp....HOWEVER....I found the case mouth bell to be rather aggressive, to say the least!!!:eek:..

This is a photo of what the belling looks like now...AFTER I fiddled with the adjustment up and down by trial and error, I gave up and readjusted to nearly the 'mega-mouth' factory set... :confused::confused::confused::confused:

[​IMG]

I dont like this much bell as it will decrease the case life...I believe it is unique to the SQD as I NEVER belled near as much when I was loading .45C on my 550...

I think the reason for the large bell is due to the SQD small dies and small mouths...the bullet has to almost be seated perfectly straight into the case or it will strike the edge of the seating die, causing a malfunction...:mad:

After getting things right again, the SQD was a pussycat and dropped Trail Boss at exactly 5.5 grains every time...After getting my flow going, I was able to turn out about 200-250 rounds per hour...It aient perfect, but Im quite pleased with it..
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Yikes. that is alot of flare.
  3. rcairflr

rcairflr Well-Known Member

Surely you can adjust the die to get less flare, that can't be good.
  4. American Leader

American Leader Well-Known Member

Touch base with LDBennett, he probably knows everything there is to know about Big Blue. He will be very happy to give you advice as I think he owns stock in Dillon!
  5. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I don't have a SD, but I do have the 550. Adjusting the flare on the powder feed die was a simple task.
  6. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

If LD doesn't come along pretty soon, I suggest that you call Dillon and ask them, that is just too much bell on that thing!!
  7. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I had a Sq Deal, some 20 years ago. There is no way I can remember how to adjust the powder die to get a more reasonable mouth belling. Call Dillon. That's what you payed for when you bought Dillon....expert knowledge.

But in reading the instruction manual (downloaded from the Dillon web page) it works just like the RL550B. The belling is done by the powder funnel that slides up and down with the cartridge in the powder die. Adjusting the powder die up removes some of the bell while adjusting it down increases the belling of the case. Based on what I see in the instruction manual you should be able to adjust out all of the bell.

Also you may want to go through the instruction manual again and verify you set the press up correctly. The amount of belling you show is extraordinary and you may have missed a step or two (??). I would not want my brass to be belled that much as that would most certainly decrease the life of the brass.

LDBennett
  8. The Duke

The Duke New Member

Ive no problem what so ever with adjusting the powder funnel so as to change the bell flare....Ive had a 550 since the early 90's and still have it today..:D This is my first Square Deal...the powder dispincers will interchange, but the loading dies will not...they are specific to the SQD...

The bullet used by Dillon to set the flare is a Elmer Keith type...large flat semi wadcutter type...It was included with the SQD. Im using a 250 RNFP.

Although the powder funnel was supposedly set by the factory to give the correct flare, when I saw the 'mega-mouth' I thought someone may have goofed.. I adjusted the belling smaller to where I normally set for 45C on my 550...This was basically a no go, with the nose of the bullet striking the edge of the seater die and causing a progressive malfunction too often for me...Those who are familure with Dillon presses understand that it means taking out all the small brass pins and removing the cases to sort things out..

After this failure, I began increasing the size of the bell somewhat larger each time....Once again, malfunction-junction..:rolleyes::rolleyes:...The pictured bell is a bit smaller than the factory set, but was the smallest that would funtion the SQD smoothly...:confused:

I will give Dillon a call or send an email with the pic attached to see if maybe the large flare is unique to the SQD when using large caliber dies.. ie.45C..Im thinking because of the very small dies used with the SQD, the larger calibers may require a larger case mouth bell so as to align the big long heavy bullet more precicely with the small SQD dies...It may be unique to this system only, as Ive loaded .45C on my 550 and .45ACP on my 650 and never had to bell the case more than minimum...:confused:
  9. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Duke - I think you need to check your seater plug; you may need to install the other plug. Once the bullet is sitting on the case mouth, it shouldn't be any problem in seating it down. Double check the seater plug for any build up also; I realize it's a new press, but you may have had a wax chunk get stuck in there. The cases that they used at the factory to adjust may have been a bit shorter than your cases as well.

I had a SDB for 2+ years and loaded lots of 45C on it without any problem. At first glance, I'd say you had a timing issue, but I hope that it isn't a timing issue with it just coming from the factory.

Search through Dillons forum also; they have a thread just for SDB issues. May already have an answer sitting there for you.

Semper Fi,

Woolley
  10. The Duke

The Duke New Member

Hey Wooly...I dont believe it is timing ...But could be a problem with the seating plug...The one that was factory installed more closely fits my RNFP that the other plug....Sure wont hurt to change them out and give the other plug a try...Thanks.

I sent Dillon Tech an email a short while ago with a jpg of the belled case mouth.....I just dont think it is right the way it is...but I tried smaller flares and had the malfuntion problem...The bullet, if not closely centered in the case will contact the base of the die and get pushed sideways at the "point of no return" of the downstroke...It may be that I need to guide the bullet more with my fingers into the seater..Operator error is not out of the question..;)

The SD will run perfectly with the big bell in the case... Since this is my first SD, Im not sure if the factory settings are correct for the bell or not...:confused::confused:

Prob wont hear from Dillon until Monday and may have time to play with it somemore tomorrow..between the ball games, of course.:)
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  11. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

There is a delrin sleeve that sits between the die and the powder measure. Be sure that is oriented correctly. If it's upside down it will not allow any adjustment and will flare your cases excessively. I load .41 and .44 mag and they don't look like that at all.
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Sounds like a whole buncha dang headache I aint ever experienced with my trusty single stage.. :D
  13. American Leader

American Leader Well-Known Member

Your right JLA, haven't had that problem with any of my LEE's!:D
  14. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

JLA & American Leader:

I suppose you guys have not had any trouble with your horse and buggy or typewriter or your AM tube radio or your Model T either.

Progressive reloaders are the future and they are here in the present. If set up correctly they can make many rounds quickly. Do you suppose any commercial ammo is loaded single stage or with LEE dies? EVERYONE (yes including single stage reloaders and user of LEE equipment) have to get the tools set up correctly to make good ammo. The Duke can and will get his problem fixed by a call to Dillon. Service is what Dillon is all about. And if there is a part failure then Dillon will provide that part free even if it means replacing the entire press. That's the way they do business.

Personally I don't like the SQ Deal and yes I had one for just over a year. The reason is mostly the auto indexing, that Hornady progressive press users defend. It really complicates fixing a screw up on the press. My RL550 will do everything the SQ Deal will do and more because it can do rifle rounds too and uses regular dies (yes, even LEE dies). But many SQ Deal users love them and some even have several of them permanently set up for one particular cartridge that the user requires in large quantities. I don't have that requirement so Dillon replaced my Sq Deal for free with a RL550 (and some cash that was the difference in the list prices ... I lost nothing in the exchange). I know Hornady will NOT do that, nor, I'll bet, will any other press manufacturer.

I am curious as to exactly what the problem is here and what the fix will be. I suspect it is a setup problem but it also may be a part problem (??).

LDBennett
  15. The Duke

The Duke New Member

+1, LD:D:lmao:
  16. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

I own two SD's and for the reason LD pointed out. However; I own a single stage press for all of my rifle cartridges because I do a lot of prep work between resizing and priming. It's (to me) pointless to own a progressive press for bottleneck cartridges, simply because of the need to get all of the lube off the brass. Not to mention, trimming, chamfering, cleaning the primer pocket, inspection etc. that goes into my loading process. I'm not being critical; that's just me.

I'm sure Dillon will square him away. As the man said; there's nobody better than Dillon for "no BS" warranty.
  17. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

yes, we know this LD.. We just like watching you rant.. :rant:
    :)
  18. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Anymore flare and you are going to have take that press to the Blue Oyster Club Saturday Night.