squib load

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by carver, Jun 18, 2012.

1. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    For the second time in 35 years of reloading I built another one the other day. I had loaded up 50 rds, 1 tray, of .44spl. Ran out of boxes for this load, so I dumped them into a freezer bag. A couple of days later I sat down to load up some .357 mag, and as I was preparing to load I started to zero my scale, and there was powder in the tray! I looked at where the scale was set, and realized that I had obviously not dumped the powder into the last of the .44spls. I grabbed a sharpie and marked the bag of .44's as 1 squib load in bag. Sure enough a few days later I was out shooting the .44, and the fith shot went poop! Pushed the bullet back out of the barrel, and continued on. I just hate it when I do stuff like this, but I caught it, and was prepared for it. With the bag marked I knew there was no way I was going to load any of those bullets for SD.
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

With only 50 rounds, I would have weighed the rounds. Six or seven grain difference in weight would have been a BIG heads-up, to me.
  3. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

maybee even a shake test...
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Two problems with the shake test. If the powder charge is high enough, there is not enough room in the case for the powder to rattle around, so you can't hear it.

Other problem would be old farts like me that shot too often with no ear protection and listened to too much WAY TOO DAMN LOUD rock and roll, can't hear the powder rattle anyway.
  5. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

yep, if a compressed charge.. no rattle.

as for the R&R my hearing's still somewhere between bat and dog :) just gotta be safe around PA gear.. :)

osha says 96db for 4 hours.. :)