Squirrel Gun - 32 Cal.

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by tonygrz, Jun 10, 2008.

1. tonygrz

tonygrz New Member

I'm in the bidding for a "I think" Traditions 32 cal. squirrel gun. The barrel is marked "32 CAL" and then "SQUIRREL" Since I've never worked with any caliber under 50, what size balls and ticking does it take??? Does anyone make a 31 round ball or a 32 Maxi-ball? And now to powder - FFG or a subsitute - how many grain eqivilent?? Maybe a small charge of 40 to start??

Thanks a bunch for all your answers. Will let you know if I win the auction.

tonygrz
  2. 44-40 Willy

44-40 Willy New Member

Should be a .310 round ball. Not sure on the patch thickness though. As for powder, I'd be looking at FFFg or Pyrodex P (if percussion) and starting with about 15 or 20 grains. 40 would be a bit much IMHO.

Dixie Gun Works should have everything you need. Matter of fact, I'd use the load data listed for their squirrel rifle as a starting point.

http://www.dixiegun.com/
  3. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    As stated .310 with a .020 greased patch, FFFg or Pyrodex rifle if wanting a BP substitute. Rule of thumb on rifles is begin with same grains as caliber so on 32 I would begin with 30. 15 grains is excellent for target practice. I have 2 32s and use a 65 grain load on them when using one to deer hunt, yes they will take down a deer really well. My daughter has taken a few with 32 over the years. IF only squirrel hunting, I think you will find between 20 and 40 grains will be a good load some where. Main thing is find a load that shoots good consistant groups at distances you expect to be hunting at. On ething on a 32 is clean it between every shot or 2 at most. smaller the bore, the more the bore needs to be swabbed out between shots due to fowling.
  4. WV SCROUNGER

WV SCROUNGER New Member

you can order .32 Maxi balls or .32 Minnies at Blue grouse website.
    Great Website!!!:eek:
  5. hotroddinaggie

hotroddinaggie New Member

i got some maxi ball from them awhile back cannot find them just tried search for blue grouse please send me their www. address thanks derrall, hotroddinaggie@yahoo.com
  6. Rafsob

Rafsob New Member

Do you know how many Blue grouse website there are???
  7. anthonymsga

anthonymsga New Member

I would say more like pyrodex and 35 grains. 310 round ball perfect for hunting squirrel