Squirrel Recipe Suggestions

Discussion in 'Ruffit's Domestic & Wild Game Cooking/ Recipe Foru' started by 45nut, Oct 6, 2012.

1. 45nut

45nut New Member

Killed 4 this morning. Wife wouldn't let me get in the woods at daylight, she wanted to sleep in. So I got in about 9 am had a blast. I really love squirrel hunting and find it a challenge and very rewarding. Still hunting to a good tree and waiting for the tree limbs to start shaking.

Mostly Fox squirrels in this particular wood. I saw 8 or 10 , shot at 6 and killed 4 with my Huglu O/U 20 ga. I find them so amusing and sometimes watch them too long until they get out of range, because once you kill them, then you got to clean them.

2 questions:

1. How do you skin yours?

2. Your favorite recipe.
  2. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

i cut feet off, nail head to board.. use sharp fillet knife or razor and skin / peel them like a catfish.

have pan fried them.. etc.

have poiled them with boulion then picked meet to add to rice..

depending on how gamey they are.. however.. addthiir meet to a stew or veg soup sees to be the best if they are gamey...

that's just me...
  3. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

I slit the hide all the way around in the middle and pull apart and over the arms/legs. I cut the arms/legs off and head/tail and then chunk the main portions apart.

I wash well, roll them in a bit of flour and then pan fry them or otherwise I just pull the meat off after a good boil and add them to soups, stew, whatever.

Or if you prefer, the crockpot is a great way to get some tender squirrel, lots of liquid and let them go for half a day or whatever.
  4. 45nut

45nut New Member

My Dad's method was spit the skin in the middle and pull both ways. Boy that is hard for me to do alone.

I read about a method where you cut through the tail bone from underneath by the anus and step on the tail, grab the bugger by the hind legs and basically undress him. Pull the skin to the head, then get your fingers underneath the skin on the legs and pull that to the feet, then cut off heads and feet and yer done.

Only problem is, as I age, the ground gets further and further away from me!:eek: :D Back in high school, I made a squirrel skinner out of 10 ga hot rolled & 1/4" round stock.

I do like the nail idea, that way I can do it without having to bend over so much.

BTW, these babies are going to be boiled, de-boned and put into my "chicken" jambalaya
  5. garydude

garydude Member

If you have a pressure cooker give it a go. I simmer the squirrel meat in canola or olive oil until brown, then add about an inch of water, pressure cook it for about 20 minutes, then throw in veggies (potatoes celery carrots, onion) then pressure cook again for about 15 minutes. When that's finished I add one can of cream of mushroom soup. Finished product is a fantastic vegetable/meat stew.
  6. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    That's the way I do it. And yeah, the ground is getting further way each year. I use the steps in front of the house. Sometimes the wife will be my holder, but on those days when the wife isn't available, and the steps are still to close to the ground, I use this method:

By the way, do you like chicken, and dumplings? If you do try the squirrel in that pot instead of the chicken! I love it!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  7. Country101

Country101 Active Member

8. CHW2021

CHW2021 Member

Put the squirells on the smoker for a while, bone them out and then put em in your gumbo, I hate dealing with the bones.
    I do this with duck/andouille gumbo and the extra flavor from smoking sets it off. Use a dark roux.
  9. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

What does squirrel taste like?
  10. Country101

Country101 Active Member

squirrel........

It's a darker meat. Pretty tasty the few times I've had it. I cant hardly get my wife to cook it. If she would, I would eat more of it.
  11. 45nut

45nut New Member

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  12. carver

carver Moderator

Yeah, these things are neat! But this one will cost you $30 plus S&H. The one I posted is free, and it does the same thing! However, I would not mind having one that doesn't move around so much. Got to work on that!
  13. Roadkil

Roadkil New Member

I clean them by cutting at the base of the tail and skining up the back a bit then I place the tail under my foot and continue up and pull the front legs out. Then I skin the back legs off.

One of my favorite and easy squirrel recipes:

http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=80967\
  14. carver

carver Moderator

I like my squirrel, and dumplings! Fried is good to! I have ate them roasted over an open fire, but the dumplings is the way to go for me!