squirrel recipes?? Merge

Discussion in 'Ruffit's Domestic & Wild Game Cooking/ Recipe Foru' started by midnight_cougar, Sep 24, 2007.

1. midnight_cougar

midnight_cougar New Member

I have some squirrels, I normally just throw them in spagetti sauce in the crockpot. I only found one recipe on here, I am just wondering if ya'all have any other recipes on how to cook them? So we can try something new.
  2. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Well-Known Member

Re: squirrel recipes??

Heres a couple

here

And here

Crpdeth
  3. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

Take some young tender squirrels and marinate in teriyaki sauce over night then grill serve with wild rice and a salad. It will make you want to hunt more!!!!!!! :)
  4. midnight_cougar

Thanks guys
    I didn't see them. I gotta go get some more i want to try them all, expetially the squirrel dumlins.
  5. ThunderStick300MAG

ThunderStick300MAG New Member

i got a frickasee'd (not to sure about the spelling...haha) squirrel recipe in an old remington recipe box at my mom's house. i'll get it to ya tomorrow....man it's good....

might post some more of them on here too
  6. midnight_cougar

I went out again today it was way to windy, but still fun and peacefull, i missed one with my mag and i am rather embarrassed to say how close he was but he was like 15 ft. But i have never shot at anything closer then 30yards. I was target shooting and i forgot to change my AO it was set at 100yds and zoomed at 18. But i am still not happy with it. but the other ones are in the freezer now so tomorrow i will go out again and if i don't get enough they are coming out of the freezer...so i can eat them
  7. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Well-Known Member

Okay...It's after "tomorrow". :D

Deth
  8. Re: squirrel recipes??

Donny, here's one I tried some years ago after a mountain squirrel hunt for bushy-tailed grays. It's simple, but yummy! :D

FIRST, SHOOT THE SQUIRRELS (this usually proves helpful)! :eek: ;)
    ~6 young squirrels, cleaned & cut into serving pieces, use only the back legs & backstrap
    ~ 1 cup shortening
    ~ 3 cups flour
    ~ salt and pepper
    ~ 1 cup water
    ~ 1 cup milk
    ~ 1 small onion, sliced

Clean squirrels thoroughly, making sure to remove any hair and shotshell pellets.

Salt and pepper the flour to taste.

Heat the shortening in a large skillet.

Dredge squirrel pieces in flour mixture until well coated. Reserve 1/4 cup of the flour.

Fry squirrel in shortening until light brown. Remove, and pat dry with a towel.

Add the onion to the skillet and brown. Add the water, milk and the 1/4 cup of reserved flour. Stir well.

Bring to a boil and add squirrel pieces. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.

Serve with mashed potatoes and cornbread or biscuits.
  9. jeanp1948

jeanp1948 New Member

Man, being from Maine I have never heard of anyone eating squirrels! I thought it was an Appalachian thing? No offense intended but we kinda limit our flesh intake to venison, bear, moose, fish, lobster, and clams. I guess it's a cultural thing. 40% of Maine people are French descent (yours truly included). Isn't a squirrel a rodent? We have em, they are a pest and maybe if we ate more we would have to fight em less for bird feed! For you guys who can eat em more power to ya! I don't think I could get em down the gullet without retching.

jeanp1948 recipe for ALL squirrels:

1. Good .22 LR or magnum rifle
    2. Shoot one or more squirrels
    3. Dig big hole about 3 feet deep
    4. Place squirrels in hole, cover and pat down hard
    5. Let marinate 3-5 years
    6. This will give you enough time to forget where you buried em, heh, heh:D
  10. Re: squirrel recipes??

::::mumble, mumble:::: damnyankee :::::mumble mumble:::: :D ;) :p Well, at least we don't eat gigantic bottom-feeding sea spiders, Jean. :D
  11. jeanp1948

jeanp1948 New Member

Um mm, ummmmm, yummmmmmmy,:D :) :D

Nothing like a slimy black ocean spider with a giant claw thrown alive into boiling water and then ripped apart and dipped into nice fatty melted butter:p

Also:

Squirrel = $0.00
    Lobster = $25.00

What a deal:eek:

P.S. I thought people from Colorado, Montana, etc were Yankee transplants escaping the "Year of No Summer" (1816).

By the way my home town (Fairfield, Maine) has a road called the Ohio Hill Road which legend says people took to exit Maine for the West during that summer!

Jean (admitted Yankee) p1948
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2007
  12. Re: squirrel recipes??

Actually, there are a lot of Southerners here in Colorado, Jean, emigrants from many of the Southern states, though especially from Texas. Though I myself was not born in the South, my family is all Southern born, mostly in Tennessee, and my forebearers defenders against Yankee imperialism during the War of Northern Aggression, 1861-1865. :D ;)

Now, as for lobster, I must admit to a taste for the stuff, along with crab and the occassional shrimp. :D
  13. jessikisses

jessikisses New Member

Here's a recipie that i have from out of a cook book called the treasury of white trash cooking. dont be foolled by the name its a good cookbook. any way....
    Squirrels a la king:
    soak 2 dressed squirrels in salt water overnight to freshen them up. An hour or two before dinner, wash them in 2 changes of cool water. Throw them in a kettle with enough water to cover. Add 2 halves an onion (cut it in half toss it in pot), some celery, salt, and pepper; bring to a boil. Skim the surface foam from the bubbling stew and let it simmer until done. Drain and dry the squirrels. Split them down the back and brown the 4 halves in a buttered skillet until golden brown. Best seved with cabbage.

Oh and as to the little banter between Pistolenschutze and jeanp1948, being a pennsy girl my self and a yankee. I have heard of eating squirrel, also pheasent and alot of game actually. Why I even have a recipie for possom. Although I have never had squirrel my father says its rather tasty just like rabbit.
  14. jeanp1948

jeanp1948 New Member

Pistol: Remember Tennessee had many Regiments who fought for the Defense Against the Confederate Folly (heh, Heh). :D;)
  15. jeanp1948

jeanp1948 New Member

Jessikisses: There are no way you could possibly fix a squirrel to make it palatable for me to eat. I also don't know of my hunter friends who eat squirrel!
    Also I never considered Pennsylvania a New England state in the true sense. Yes we eat pheasant, Ruffed Grouse (we call them partridge), but have no possums. We are not squemish. We eat bear, horn-pout ( small catfish), deer, moose, BUT NO squirrel. We have gray and red squirrels and consider them pests.
    I am not knocking any ones preference in game but feel it's a regional thing.
    We have a large Lebanese population who eat eel, ugh. It's their ethnic preference. Now I am not saying that some Mainers don't eat squirrel but it certainly would be an exception.
    We also eat cow tongues, blood sausage, etc. so we have foods some of you wouldn't eat