1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Squirrel season opens here tomorrow!

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by carver, Sep 30, 2012.

1. jim summers

jim summers Active Member

I reside in southern Indiana, you can almost step
    Here i Indiana it open Aug. 15 ends Jan. 31 limit 5 there is nothing like watching a squirrel work its way into gun range to get the ole blood pumping.

It is a super great sport and they taste sooooooooo good bye fellas i have typed myself into going later dudes.
  2. whirley

whirley Member

Squirrels are great to hunt and great to eat. They're ideal for starting very young people to hunt. Tough to skin, however try this. To skin, cut the skin through about midsection, all around the body. Then, work the skin loose until you can get your fingers under the skin, then pull in opposite directions. Skin should come off like pulling gloves off inside out. Cut off head, tail and feet. THEN eviscerate, pull out the entrails. Soak in salt water to remove blood clots, etc. Then make stew. I use either a pressure cooker or a slow cooker. With fresh biscuits, you'll enjoy a fine meal. I started my sons on squirrels and forty years later our grandchildren come here to hunt squirrels and eat Grma's squirrel stew and stickey buns!.
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Split hide just under the base of the tail, and on down both back legs. Flip squirrel over, step on tail, hard. Grab both back legs, and pull!!! Skin will come of completely, including the head. Cut off the feet, cut off legs next to the body at the joints. Cut back, and rib cage in half, cut off the head, and clean the head, ears, eyes, nose, and whiskers. The head is the best part of the squirrel! And the brain is just about as good as it gets! You can't fry the head, so make a stew, or dumplings!
  4. Maine04657

Maine04657 New Member

We have two types of squirrels here in Maine red and grey. Red are open season you can shoot all you want all year long these ones are more like rats they infest barns and outbuildings and your home if your not on them very very small and not really eatin critters unless your real hungry.

The gray ones are few and FAR between up here up here in the real Maine. There are few but in all my time in the woods I have never seen one. I have seen them in town and such but never out in the woods.
  5. noslolo

noslolo New Member

I'm going next week with my father in law. Last year I got tags to take my Son on a youth hunt, but he backed out when he found out he was going to have to help with the cleaning.

He never talked about again until I told him that I was going with his Pap. Now he wants to go, but he's now 12 and has not completed the hunter safety course required in PA. So he will have to wait till next spring. I'm pretty excited that he is interested again. My rule was if we shoot it, we eat it, there is no waste here.